Switchable stages with Tubelabís hybrid MOSFET/ 845 SE amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2006, 07:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Switchable stages with Tubelabís hybrid MOSFET/ 845 SE amp?

Hi

Tubelabís hybrid MOSFET/ 845 SE amp,to get the most out of the 845 economically, use MOSFET stages between driver and output tube, and between input and driver tube. This reduces distortion, and allows it to run in class A2, more than doubling output.

Heresy!? . . maybe . . I will compare sans heresy

www.tubelab.com/845SE.htm

I am considering a small ďreverse experimentĒ:

Have the two MOSFET stages switchable in or out, to compare the sound (see if they sound preferable in or out) and optionally have control over output and possibly tone.

The two MOSFET stages (to my reading) join the existing circuit at seven points. So a switch that moves the MOSFETs in or out would need to join to all seven points - would this work?

My intention is build one channel, compare it via a number of speakers to something like (from http://world.std.com/~doyle/ ) Jim Doyle's 845 Version 3 amp: (LC coupled, Direct Coupled Driver Stage) 845v3.jpg . . . then replicate the channel I prefer.

Are these switchable stages feasible?

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!