ASC metal can polypro caps: ground the metal can to AC ground? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2006, 04:13 AM   #1
jarthel is offline jarthel  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default ASC metal can polypro caps: ground the metal can to AC ground?

your thoughts?

thanks for the help
Old 5th September 2006, 04:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes, if they are outside the chassis where they can be touched.
Old 5th September 2006, 06:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsavitsk
Yes, if they are outside the chassis where they can be touched.

but not all metal that can be touch are grounded. say a metal knob for a volume control?
Old 5th September 2006, 09:04 AM   #4
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I don't know ASC metal can, but I'd been shocked by some unshielded aluminum tops of electrolyte caps.

Ouch!

Those caps were originally fixed onto metal chassis directly by nylon cable ties. After I was shocked, I cut those cable ties & put some more thich cardboard between caps & sheet metal, then re-fixed them. As the thin heat-shrink film seems vulnerable.
Old 5th September 2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
but not all metal that can be touch are grounded. say a metal knob for a volume control?
True, but ungrounded, touchable, conductive elements are only dangerous when high voltage carrying wire gets loose and makes contact with the element. There's usually no high voltage around the volume control...

Simon
Old 5th September 2006, 06:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

A metal knob on a volume control is connected with the shaft, which has a sliding contact with the case, which is mounted to the metal chassis... so it IS grounded. If the pot's case ISN'T grounded, expect hum problems...
Old 5th September 2006, 07:37 PM   #7
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

One general caveat I recently discovered, grounding a metal-bodied signal cap should be considered carefully. A coupling position isn't likely with an ASC but it's common with Russian Telfons, K40Y-9 PIOs and Russian silver mica. A Fluke DVM measured a whopping 70pf between either terminal and exterior case on the latter. That equated to (a probably not very linear) 70pf shunting the driver to ground in my amp. Even though it measured flat floating the cap body still cleaned up the sound significantly.
Old 5th September 2006, 10:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

so the good idea is to ground it to AC?
Old 6th September 2006, 01:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If the cap is inaccessible to the user, leave it floating, and keep low level signal leads away from it. If anyone can touch it GROUND IT. The can will often collect enough electrons to zap you. If it internally shorts, it can kill you.

Connecting the can to an AC ground will still put the previously mentioned 70pF to ground.

I have received the same unwanted experience from some Panasonic electrolytics. The big ones have a plastic cover over the can. The 100uF 350 volt ones do not, and the can will shock you.
Old 6th September 2006, 02:50 AM   #10
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi tubelab. In situations where the cap is in the signal path and the capacitance to ground a detriment, what do you think about using a bleed resistor? 70 pf in series with half a meg might be fine.

Hide this!Advertise here!