• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube amp for my Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys
Im currently using a pair of proac 2.5 diy speakers
pairing it up with a rotel 971mkII int amp

so, could you guys please recommend me a good tube amp that goes well with this pair of speakers?
or maybe a schematic that i can use to build an amp for them so that they will sound good ?

:)

Although the proac 2.5's are only 86db efficient. I have read many posts stating that a Single Ended 300B amp does a great job.

So if you want to build your own amp... find a SE 300b project that puts out around 8 Watt.. or a EL34 single ended..here is a real gem of a document/project..that explains a lot about SE amps in the process..

http://www.lundahl.se/claus_b_se.html

Howdy Hydesg,

First of all I would like to apologise for our little tiff spilling over into your thread.

I noticed your post earlier tonight and had some questions for you to help choose a suitable amp. Bas is about right with the efficiency I think, so to get an idea of how much power you realistically need, and therefore what your options are wrt the amp.
- How loud do you want to be able to play without distortion or compression?
- How big is your room and how close do you sit to the speakers?
- Do you have a preference for a topology, ie PP or SE?
- You asked for a schematic, so are you wanting to scratch build, or would a kit be better?
- What type of music do you play most?

Cheers

Hi

Hmmm... my room is about 3 by 5 metres big
i listen to jazz,pop,rock you name it
as long as its nice , ill listen :D

no particular preference in what kind of topology (im still new to tubes so not very sure about each topology's pros n cons)

may i know what do you guys recommend ?

i guess it would be better to have a schematic to build , because i can shop for the parts of sufficient quality and doesnt hurt my wallet
hehe :)

Hydesg, Bas Horneman gave you the best advise so far.

For my money with the speakers you plan to use and the type of music you mentioned I would suggest Push-Pull Pentode. For the Rock and Pop you will generally get more punch. For the Jazz Single ended Triode may be better. We all have a topoligy or tube that is our favorite. You need to figure out which one is your's.

There are hundreds of designs talked about in this forum and others so pick one that looks easy, cheep, cool or just crazy enough to get your attention and try it.

Good luck and have fun.

Later
Bruce
:geezer:

I use my SET for all types of music, and I don't find it lacking on rock or jazz. I think it mainly comes down to the speakers you're going to use, and how much wattage you'll need for the listening levels you like. In other words, I haven't had the experience that SET's are weak on bass, or "spongy".

But then, I am deaf, ignorant, uneducated, technically illiterate, rude, and just generally clueless.

Hi Hydesg,

Do you want to buy a kit? Or a built unit?

How about here:

http://gabevee.tripod.com

I sell four different power amp kits (one integrated). Two SE and one P-P. The SE's are 9 watts per channel and the P-P is 15 WPC. They are relatively cheap (I make a very small profit. I am in it for the love of the hobby and make a very good living in computers) and use decent parts, and tubes are included.

All four amps are designed to accomodate just about any load available. They will drive your 86dB speakers nicely. But.. 15 WPC would be the best choice... and the cheapest! (SE transformers cost more).

I hope I am not breaking any rules plugging here.:sorry:

Let me know,
Gabe:cheeky:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.