Low plate voltage pentode (<40v) for diff pair? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2006, 09:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Rescue Toaster
Default Low plate voltage pentode (<40v) for diff pair?

I need to make a diff pair that runs at no higher than 40v plate to cathode. The CCS below them goes to a negative voltage, but the plates cannot be higher than 40v, obviously the load resistors go to a higher voltage, and the screen voltage can be regulated to any value. (150? 200? doesn't matter)

I don't actually need much gain (5-10 will be fine) so load resistors and B+ will be chosen appropriately. Of course, something low distortion that might sound good would be ideal

I know of those space-charge tubes (generally run at 12-15 volts plate), but they don't seem very linear.
Old 1st September 2006, 09:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't know if pentodes run well at 40volts, but if you only need a gain of 5-10 then why a pentode? 6922 runs ok at low voltages, but it is merely a triode. You say you have higher voltages available for the screen, so why not for the plate? Are you DC-coupling to the next stage?
Btw, the screen should not be at a higher voltage than the plate.
Old 1st September 2006, 09:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Rescue Toaster
Yeah, it's DC coupling to the next stage.

That's also why pentodes are required, as you can adjust the source voltages to trim out DC ofset at the output.

The 40 volts was chosen because it's possible the user COULD be exposed to this voltage (unlikely, but possible) so it can't be at a dangerous voltage.

I guess if there's no way to get there with tubes I'll have to go to mosfet.
Old 2nd September 2006, 12:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have heard of people using the screen as the plate at those voltages, but dunno the linearity or have any experience with it myself.

Hide this!Advertise here!