• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Low plate voltage pentode (<40v) for diff pair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to make a diff pair that runs at no higher than 40v plate to cathode. The CCS below them goes to a negative voltage, but the plates cannot be higher than 40v, obviously the load resistors go to a higher voltage, and the screen voltage can be regulated to any value. (150? 200? doesn't matter)

I don't actually need much gain (5-10 will be fine) so load resistors and B+ will be chosen appropriately. Of course, something low distortion that might sound good would be ideal :)

I know of those space-charge tubes (generally run at 12-15 volts plate), but they don't seem very linear.

I don't know if pentodes run well at 40volts, but if you only need a gain of 5-10 then why a pentode? 6922 runs ok at low voltages, but it is merely a triode. You say you have higher voltages available for the screen, so why not for the plate? Are you DC-coupling to the next stage?
Btw, the screen should not be at a higher voltage than the plate.

Yeah, it's DC coupling to the next stage.

That's also why pentodes are required, as you can adjust the source voltages to trim out DC ofset at the output.

The 40 volts was chosen because it's possible the user COULD be exposed to this voltage (unlikely, but possible) so it can't be at a dangerous voltage.

I guess if there's no way to get there with tubes I'll have to go to mosfet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.