• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone using an 813 in pentode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Svetlana said:
Also, would a 6sl7 drive them? or 2 x cv4058?

I highly doubt it. The 6SL7 doesn't have a great deal of current sourcing capability, nor does it have a very high g(m) (1.6mA/V nominal). The 6SL7 was meant to drive loads with high resistance and low capacitance. That doesn't describe very many power final grid circuits, and certainly not an 813 even if it never goes into grid-positive overdrive. You're likely going to need either cathode follower grid drivers or a power MOSFET as a source follower.

Svetlana said:
thanks. :|

In this schematic:

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/211_3.htm

they drive vt4c (PP) grids with 2 x 6j5's....is that not like half a 6sl7?

How aboout driving the grids with pentode connected el34's (B+650V, G2 330V) ?

My opinion of that design:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That is so horrible on several levels that I'd ignore that. You also are just a bit confused there. The 6SL7 is a high gain dual triode that gets its high amplification factor by driving up its r(p). The 6J5 is a medium gain triode that is actually half of a 6SN7 (or darn close to it). 6SN7s do make good cathode follower grid drivers, and can also drive as common cathode voltage amps, which is how the Williamson used them. Higher g(m) (3.0mA/V) and current handling capability.

C4M or EL84, or a ECL82 would do the job nicely - set up as a pentode... High(ish) gain, and high current capability, but you'd have to watch the plate voltages.

There's a C4M scheamtic around developed by Thorsten to drive a 300B - if it's like any of his other designs, it'll have tone in spades ;)

Just a thought,

Owen

To Svetlana - You have to be careful using a MOSFET follower to drive your output stage. If you use a a garden variety high voltage device, the capacitance can load down the previous stage. You need one with as low a capacitance/gate charge as possible. Check tubelab's web site for suggestions. The other alternative would be to use a different input tube with more drive capability - maybe both.
I've also been looking at vertical oscillator/amplifer dissimilar triodes like the 6CY7 or 6GF7A for driving a class A2 enhanced triode sweep tube SE amp. You get a small, high gain triode with fair transconductance and low plate resistance (at least compared to something like a 12AX7 or 6SL7) and a beefy high transconductance triode with a decent plate dissipation rating. The only drawback to this approach is the need for a negative bias supply to rein in the triode and provide the right DC-coupled bias voltage to the output tube. I also wouln't expect this approach to work if you need tens of milliamperes of grid current. In both of the instances I'm using this approach, the drive levels are pretty modest, or the tube is reasonably tractable, so I don't expect to neeed more than a milliamp or so of grid current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.