• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

El34 PP Vs. El34 PSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This?

Attachments

• cascode 12at7 bias.gif
    cascode 12at7 bias.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 567
Look at the LM334Z. Morgan Jones used them in a few of his amps. If you have the third edition, check pages 476, 477, 478, and 484. I have used them also with a 6J6 and a 12AT7. In most cases the negative voltage can be eliminated, just connect it to ground. In my 12AT7 bases phase splitter, I think that it may sound better with a negative 5 volts applied. These are only good for 10 mA though.

As mentioned before the LM317 sounds like **** when signal is applied to it. I would try the LM334Z. If you are going to use a negative voltage, then just use the IXYS10M45 chip, instead of your cascode circuit. It is good to several hundred KHz, and it sounds good too.

The schematic that you show in post #33 uses a 12AT7 as the Long Tailed Pair, which is both the phase splitter and the driver. In this circuit you want just one CCS in the cathode circuit as shown. The plates should be loaded with resistors as shown. More than one CCS per circuit generally causes them to fight each other leading to instability and general bad behavior. Copy the circuit as shown, just replace the LM317 circuit with the CCS circuit of your choice. As pointed out here there are plenty of them to choose from.

okay, I have seen to LEDs fight before, I guess it makes sense for all CCS's. I have no clue when construction on this amp will begin, I have the money to build, but now being a full-time student, and with little labspace, I will just take it slow and Steady. I've heard that the best
DIY is done that way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.