• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Nasty ground loop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, I just moved into my dorm, and I hooked-up my El34 SE amplifier into my Ipod and got some sweet sweet tunes, untill I tried to plug my Ipod into the wall

*BUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

I am 99% sure its a ground loop, but does anyone have any ideas on how to fix? My Ipod battery won't last forever...yet!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Do both the amplifier and iPod charger have a 3 wire cord? And is anything else plugged into the amplifier?

Incidentally my Ipod charger which is not grounded, when connected to my iPod makes audible hum with both the headphones (not a big deal) and significantly more hum when connected to my hifi. (Speakers have better bass response than my phones.) I generally charged mine prior to using with the hifi for this reason.

I concluded long ago that highly compressed aac/mp4, not to mention mp3 does not sound too good through a high end system. I found limited relief with higher sampling rates (>256K) on material I ripped from CD to the iPod. All iTunes is 128K and :down: in terms of sound quality. :shutup: Now I use it only at work and at the gym.. (PC based media server.. hint, hint :D )

Good luck in College!

I started Shunning all Mp3s years ago, I have good preformance with AAC, and Apple lossless through Hi-fi stuff though although everything is at 256 on my Ipod

The Ipod Charger is two prong-ed

When I unplug my Tv tuner card from my comptuer, it lets me plug my Ipod into my computer and charge it what way, I have to keep testing different arragements

-Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.