• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vg-k max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Diodes and neons? May I ask how?

This has been driving me batty for a few days, I'll explain.

I have a mu stage directly coupled to the grids in question. The driver has its own B- which is silicon rectified, and the B+ is vacuum rectified. The B- supply is CRCRC. At no load I have -600V but loaded, it comes up to -250V, all in the time it takes for my 5V4G to come up.

I'm at least glad that the driver DC starts low and comes up rather than the other way round :xeye:

I have considered back to back zeners grid to ground, but when simming with a pair of 180V'ers they seem to change the bias point.

I have considered shunt regulation, but I'd rather not double the supplies load, especially as I am dropping 350V on the supply.

I have considered a switchable dummy load, and switching the B+ late.

I am really looking for the simplest solution.

BTW, I do want the grids to be allowed to be driven positive.

In similar situations I use the old standby, neon bulbs. In this case, I would hang two in series, in the grid circuit. If your driver can handle the added capacitance (a few pF) put them from the grid of the KT66 to ground. These things are a virtual open circuit (plus the few pF) until they conduct, then they become like mini 0A2's. The breakdown voltage varies quite a bit, so test them with a power supply and a series resistor before using. I got a bag of them surplus several years ago, they run from 75 to 90 volts each.

I have three 50V neons and can get 90V neons.

I have a concern with over-current on the neons.

The driver stage is not grounded, but sits between B+ and B-. The current path for the neon at turn on, would be through the lower triode (DHT so already emitting), then the neons and ground. If the neons strike, I figure the lower triode's Vgk will kick in and the current will settle at maybe 20mA, but there could be a rush at first.

Even if the B- comes up to just a couple of hundred -ve volts, I imagine the current path would still be through the neons, pumping 20mA for more than 10 seconds.

I feel that a series resistance could be a complication/problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.