• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

rebuild a Musical Fidelity X-10D ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Basically No !

The X10D is a unity gain buffer using a pair of ECC88's. For a Phono preamp you would need much more gain than availble from a ECC88 alone, you would also need to fundamentally design a new circuit - which I would guess you couldn't do yourself. Also the X10D works at a sub-optimum voltage which would make it nearly impossible to drag enough gain out of it.

There are plenty of excellent and simple phono preamp circuits about, don't destroy the excellent X10D to make a crap one.

Hope that helps.

Shoog

Shoog said:
Basically No !

The X10D is a unity gain buffer using a pair of ECC88's. For a Phono preamp you would need much more gain than availble from a ECC88 alone, you would also need to fundamentally design a new circuit - which I would guess you couldn't do yourself. Also the X10D works at a sub-optimum voltage which would make it nearly impossible to drag enough gain out of it.

There are plenty of excellent and simple phono preamp circuits about, don't destroy the excellent X10D to make a crap one.

Hope that helps.

Shoog

Thanx your answer is verry helpful. I'm not going to mod., will look for new phono amp..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.