Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2006, 10:11 PM   #1
yise1 is offline yise1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 100watt mono blocks

Hi guys I'm interested in building a set of 100watt mono block tube amps. From reading some of the posts and looking at other peoples amps, I realize that this is a pretty big undertaking especially for me as this will be my first diy project. With that being said all prayers and any help are welcome. Does anyone know if there are any schematics available or projects that are similar that I could glean some info from?
Old 27th August 2006, 02:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

100 W monobloc is by no means out of the question. Just don't try to do it with one pair of PP tubes - parallel PP is a far better idea. KT88s or 6550s in PPP class AB1 UL mode should be capable of providing 100 W or more of clean power.

The biggest factors for success are going to be the output transformer and the power supply. The PS needs to be well capable of providing the required current without much sag. You'll need seriously big and heavy trannies, together with the chokes you'll probably want to use, and the total weight of the hardware is a good reason why you're wise to consider monoblocs, IMHO.
Old 27th August 2006, 05:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

one schematic you might want to take a look at (it's a starting point) is this Genelex at Bonavolta:

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/kt88_6.htm

HT on this sucker is about 560V, which will give you 100W at 5% distortion. This figure is somewhat reasonable as you'd never need consistent power at 100W. I'm aware that it's not ultimate-HIFI, and that it only has two tubes at the output, but it's still reasonably interesting.

The full book that explains the circuit is here at

http://www.pmillett.com/Books/GEC_approach.pdf

I advise you to take a look at some other books on that site as well, it's well worth it.

Hide this!Advertise here!