• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The SACD Meets Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone eles use Super Audio CDs through their tube amps? because I have very mixed feelings on the issue. The SACD can pass anything from DC to 100khz, not exactly the friend of a cheap output transformer. I hope it gets better if I buy some more expensive ones, but I wanted to know what everyone eles thought of mixing these two technologies.

-Alex

I guess it's purely a matter of opinion. What is a "proper" solution? Open up any piece of commercial HiFi, you're pretty much guaranteed to find these "cheap" solutions. Singal running through cheapo relays, completely unnecessary protection circuits against startup pops etc. I can't think of a reason why a simple filter circuit would be somehow unacceptable if the iron isn't up for the job in the first place. Money talks, you know. This is purely my own philosophy, but I say as long as I can't hear the difference, I don't care what's going on inside. The primary purpose for audio equipment is to produce pleasing sound, after all. Taking the argument even further, transformers are probably the worst piece of electronic equipment ever. It's virtually impossible to find two identical ones not to mention losses and many, many other things I've have no clue of. Transformers are a necessary evil all together. Hardly an "audiophile" approach. Not that it's in any way necessary to approach HiFi like that. Tube amps after all should sound hellish to all audiophiles according to measurements. Not to start a fight on the subject, I'd like to state that There is always going to be a weak link on your equipment, and it's pretty much your sanity+wallet size that state how your can treat that problem.

On that note, how realistic is it really that some infra-sounds would saturate your iron? I mean, these sounds are not very frequent on any type of media, are they?

Use toroidal output transformers and put CCS in the cathode to keep them balanced. This will give you response to between 35khz-70khz (mine peak out at about 35khz).
Otherwise go back to solid state or go OTL. Alternatively stop worrying about it. The harmonic content above 20khz should do its job before the output transformers so the fact that the transformer wont pass those high frequencies should be incidental.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.