The SACD Meets Tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2006, 02:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The SACD Meets Tubes

Does anyone eles use Super Audio CDs through their tube amps? because I have very mixed feelings on the issue. The SACD can pass anything from DC to 100khz, not exactly the friend of a cheap output transformer. I hope it gets better if I buy some more expensive ones, but I wanted to know what everyone eles thought of mixing these two technologies.

-Alex
Old 24th August 2006, 02:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It shouldn't matter much to your 20khz ears. Your pets on the other hand may feel different
Old 24th August 2006, 03:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't have many SACD, but so far, I have not heard much difference! But I am also older and can't hear above 10 KHz anymore. (I have Sony SACD player feeding 6L6 PP UL amp to Dayton RS woofer and Peerless tweeter)
Old 24th August 2006, 04:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think its the low frequncies saturating the core of the transformer, cheap hammonds probably have alot of trouble with 10hz signals at 3 watts
Old 24th August 2006, 04:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

a simple little RC filter could fix your problem if you tack it onto the driver stage, eh?
Old 24th August 2006, 02:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

That would work, but it seems like the cheap solution, I think the real solution is to invest 150 bucks in some Transcendar Iron...
Old 24th August 2006, 06:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I guess it's purely a matter of opinion. What is a "proper" solution? Open up any piece of commercial HiFi, you're pretty much guaranteed to find these "cheap" solutions. Singal running through cheapo relays, completely unnecessary protection circuits against startup pops etc. I can't think of a reason why a simple filter circuit would be somehow unacceptable if the iron isn't up for the job in the first place. Money talks, you know. This is purely my own philosophy, but I say as long as I can't hear the difference, I don't care what's going on inside. The primary purpose for audio equipment is to produce pleasing sound, after all. Taking the argument even further, transformers are probably the worst piece of electronic equipment ever. It's virtually impossible to find two identical ones not to mention losses and many, many other things I've have no clue of. Transformers are a necessary evil all together. Hardly an "audiophile" approach. Not that it's in any way necessary to approach HiFi like that. Tube amps after all should sound hellish to all audiophiles according to measurements. Not to start a fight on the subject, I'd like to state that There is always going to be a weak link on your equipment, and it's pretty much your sanity+wallet size that state how your can treat that problem.

On that note, how realistic is it really that some infra-sounds would saturate your iron? I mean, these sounds are not very frequent on any type of media, are they?
Old 24th August 2006, 10:02 PM   #8
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

This is like an episode of "The Twilight Zone".

John
Old 25th August 2006, 08:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Use toroidal output transformers and put CCS in the cathode to keep them balanced. This will give you response to between 35khz-70khz (mine peak out at about 35khz).
Otherwise go back to solid state or go OTL. Alternatively stop worrying about it. The harmonic content above 20khz should do its job before the output transformers so the fact that the transformer wont pass those high frequencies should be incidental.

Shoog
Old 25th August 2006, 06:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Another thought. The input capacitance of the transformer should effectively shunt all high frequencies to ground without ever effecting the performance of the transformer itself.

Shoog

Hide this!Advertise here!