• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Useful Abbreviations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone care for posting a list of original words/terms for abbreviations we use on the forum everyday? Which inlude official and friendly ones. This will help me a lot to understand the subjects quicker and easier, probably help others, too.

Thank you very much for your generosity and charity.

Kay

MOSFET

Metal Oxide Semiconductor Feild Effect Transistor

FET

Feild Effect Transistor

HT

High Tension (High Voltage)

HV

High Voltage

PSU
Power supply unit

SE
Single ended

SET

Single ended Triode

PSE
Parelell Single Ended

OPT

out put transformer

Cap

Capacitor

CBC

Cathode Bypass Capacitor

There are a million! i'll post more when I think of them

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
PP
Push-pull

LTP
Long tail pair

CF
Cathode follower

SF
Source follower

EF
Emitter follower

CCS
Constant current source (or sink)

B+
Same as High Tension (HT)

AF
Audio frequency

IF
Intermediate frequency

RF
Radio frequency

DCR
DC resistance

CLC
Capacitor-choke-capacitor ('pi') filter

uF
Microfarad

nF
Nanofarad

pF
Picofarad

NOS

Depending on context, either

"new old stock" usually referring to goods for sale such as tubes which are old but have never been used

or

"non over sampling" usually referring to DAC's (Digital to Analog Converters) which operate at the basic sampling rate of 44.1 KHz.

"Suck it and see", an expression used by Brits & Aussies to indicate that if you're not sure about something, try it and see what happens.

Maybe some internet/computer related terms could be welcome as well, as they're of frequent use here...

IIR If I recall
IIRC If I recall correctly
FYI For Your Info
AFAIK As Far As I Know
IMO In My Opinion
IMHO In My Humble Opinion

(There are a lot more, but I don't know if these kind of term are a welcome addition to the list, so...)

KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

And, with regards to Brian's post: my personal favorite acronym: TLA (Three Letter Acronym)

jm2c, Paul

Thank you all involved.
Especially to Rob;

I was thinking of making up an Excel sheet with all of these valuable terms so that we can sort in alpha-numeric sequence every time after adding new terms from respectable donors(?). I am absolutely sure Rob will do much better job and I appreciate it very much.

Later.
Kay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.