• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fisher 500B Schematic Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A year or two back, I purchased the iron from a Fisher 500B on Ebay, wanting to eventually use it to roll an amp of my own design using 7591A output tubes. Just today, I was looking at a 500B schematic I gleaned from the internet to see what windings were available on the power transformer and noticed that the filaments for the 7591 output tubes and the 12AX7 output driver tubes are run from the same filament winding on the power transformer. This doesn't smell right at all, since the 7591 has a 6.3V filament, and the 12AX7 has a 12V filament. All the filaments in question are run in parallel, no trickery. What gives? This looks like a mistake.

Wrenchone,

If you are going to use Fisher's topology, a 12DW7 is better than a 12AX7. Use the high mu section for voltage gain and the low mu section for the "concertina" phase splitter.

Scan the archives and you'll find a 7591 project being scoped out by dhaen. There's lots of food for thought there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.