Amplifier Project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2007, 03:02 AM   #11
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gbowne1
I know about the liscencing requirements?

What about the 8167/4CX300A? On MW, 120m or 160m? FM (88-108)

The 6146/ YFC?

What about the sweep tubes on 10, 11m, CB?

Greg
4CX300A has never been common in amateur service. If it is the tube I am thinking of, it takes a special socket that the tube twists into, a chimney, and needs forced air cooling.

Why do you need an amplifier for MW, 120 meters, or 88-108 MHz where you cannot legally operate a transmitter? 160 meters requires an amateur license, and almost any tube will work there.

Sweep tubes on 10 meters is just a bad idea. It is a worse idea on 6 meters. Amplifiers are illegal on 11 meters and CB in USA.

Win W5JAG
Old 10th October 2007, 03:10 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w5jag

Why do you need an amplifier for MW, 120 meters, or 88-108 MHz where you cannot legally operate a transmitter? 160 meters requires an amateur license, and almost any tube will work there.

Aargh, there be pirates about....

Old 10th October 2007, 03:15 AM   #13
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by gbowne1
I know about the liscencing requirements?

What about the 8167/4CX300A? On MW, 120m or 160m? FM (88-108)

The 6146/ YFC?

What about the sweep tubes on 10, 11m, CB?

Greg
What class license are you planning on? (that from former novice ticket holder KA1ISD)

Do not operate on air without a license... A Cantenna (which is an oil cooled RF power resistor in a paint can) is ok if you are careful and if you can make sure you are not radiating significant RF on your coax and elsewhere.

There are neighborhood/low power licenses available for FM operation in some areas. Unlicensed operation is restricted to very low power levels on any broadcast band. Check the FCC website for the latest regs for these services, and for contact information for the local FCC field office - they may be able to answer questions about low power broadcast licenses.

Old Heath transceivers and linear amps are a reasonable way to get started and should have acceptable spurious harmonic performance - unlike a homebrew. Use an old antenna tuner from Heath or Drake as they have additional spur suppression. To successfully design and build exciters, linear amps and transceivers you really need to have a good spectrum analyzer and the knowledge to use it.

Go to some ham fests and look for old ham gear to use for parts or repair to put back in service.. Again keep it legal...
Old 10th October 2007, 04:30 AM   #14
gbowne1 is offline gbowne1  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gbowne1
Of course, I will keep it legal. I don't wanna be one of the ones that aren't once the thing gets built. Every time I try to talk this thing up, someone pipes up and says the same things you guys have.. I'm just trying to get some ideas on which service to get into, and what I will need, and vs. what I already have.

I also dont wanna be broadcasting somewhere where i'm not suppoised to, but ty for clearing that up for me.

I've never really been a fan of CB, but I know folks who SSB CB.

You're right about the 4CX300A, it is one of the ceramic finned jobs that need a special socket & chimney combo and a blower for air circ.

I think I seen some cool site where they had 6146's in AM (MW) service as drivers for some other tube.

I thought about LPFM/LPAM and thought that the FCC was no longer issuing liscences for it.

Greg
Old 24th April 2008, 11:42 AM   #15
giboni is offline giboni  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Everyone I am retired.Recently sold most of the stock of a CB shop I operated in Brooklyn 15 Years ago.Last year needed money so sold off to tube dealers large numbers of 31Lq6 and 24Lq6 26LX6 27LF6 6LQ6 etc.
My suggestion is to purchase used a later DA phantom with the coils and band switches for the Ham Bands you desire they are quite cheap these days like 100.00.If you wire the 12.6 filament transformers in series then parallel to the filaments of the tubes you can use 24LQ6.Voltage double with a stiff cap say 10.000 mfd 50v and go to 31LQ6 or series connect 3 at a time to the line voltage which I do not recomend.I have used 30MB6,26LX6 35LR6 etc in the old CB Amps.
Currently still have over 150 30KD6 Over 150 35LR6 6036KD6-40KD6
and 200 pluss 36LW6 GE and over 100 26LW6 GE.And others!

In my new home I have the top floor and roof access.So going to try to finish a project I started 15 years ago before I went out of buisness.

I have 2 POW KW+ made by MACO Majestic Amplifier.They deny they made this he he.Size of a small microwave.No meters.Tan 85 pounds.In the center
a white Nuclear mushroom cloud underneath POW.Guess it was for 10 Meters?3.5 watts in. Any rate 3 M-2057 driving 8 M-2057 .Years ago installed 35LR6 on one.HV relays bleeder/balancing resistors on HV caps extra knob worm gear drive to turn a third HV variable cap that was inside and not accessible for fine output tuning.New hand wound copper coil instead of the cheap factory one all new relays new keyup circuit.

Used a Black Cat Modulator as the test bed for a 6LW6.Removed the original 6L6WXA+ tube.Got it to work a bit.Screen driven.500 plate volts.

Now the second POW has nearly new tubes.Pluss I have Thirty spares.Was thinking Sell them and convert to 26LW6 or 36LW6.

One look at LW6 and it would seem that grounded grid operation is a no go. G1 is connected to the cathode.It has to be driven through the Screen.
I have the parts.The Chassis the transformers.Experience with HV but not the knowledge to put this together.Have 150 ceramic octal bases to.Im going to get into building a simple audio amplifier for my computer.Would like to do something with that POW and those tubes.Any help information would be appreciated.At 60 watts PD
Versus 40 for M-2057 The POW would rock with 26LW6 or 36LW6.I already have suitable filament transformers 35v 26v.Of course this is for educational purposes only.Nice companion pieces for my Tram 201A and Browning Mark 4.It would be illegal to transmit with a 1.2 gallon beast on CB 11 meters.

Thanks in advance........73s John
Old 24th April 2008, 02:18 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Hope some Folks will check this thread and give this Geezer some knowledge!
73s John
Old 24th April 2008, 10:55 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Hope some Folks will check this thread and give this Geezer some knowledge!
73s John

Hide this!Advertise here!