• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Converting 6.3V to 6.3VCT Quick questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I Grabbed up a couple Hammond Transformers for a project not noticing the lack of a CT on the 6.3V wind.

I saw that its possible to use a pair of resistors to simulate the thing, But I am not certain of the resistor value needed nor did it say the wattage resistor to use. Would this be similar to a fixed hum balance pot?

If this is correct, it should be mounted very close to the transformer? or can i move it a few inches away and mount it on the bayonet style pilot lamp bracket?

Trout

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

100 ohm, 1 watt each are ok.
Resistance value is not so critical here, perhaps a potentiometer (250-300 ohm) would be better (can be set to minimize hum - the proper position being not necessarily in the middle.

Where to put the two resistors (or the pot): well you have better to experiment. Avoiding ground loops is the target.

More important: use tightly twisted wires to connect the filaments.

regards, Piero

Re: Re: Converting 6.3V to 6.3VCT Quick questions

Gatto Murr said:
100 ohm, 1 watt each are ok.
Resistance value is not so critical here, perhaps a potentiometer (250-300 ohm) would be better (can be set to minimize hum - the proper position being not necessarily in the middle.

Where to put the two resistors (or the pot): well you have better to experiment. Avoiding ground loops is the target.

More important: use tightly twisted wires to connect the filaments.

regards, Piero

Hey,, Thanks for the quick reply, I found another website with the same info after I posted the question, so I guess I am on the right track. Looks like its ok to mount them on the pilot lamp holder, Common practice on old tweed fenders when removing the death cap and upgrading the power cord.

Trout

They don't really have to dissipate any power, not much current flows, they are just references. I use 1 watt or even 5 watt just so they will be mechanically sturdy. 8 million Fenders can't be wrong. Mount them to the pilot lamp socket and ground them nearby. In guitar amps it doesn't really matter much where they are connected to the 6v wires.

Trout said:
I Grabbed up a couple Hammond Transformers for a project not noticing the lack of a CT on the 6.3V wind.

I saw that its possible to use a pair of resistors to simulate the thing, But I am not certain of the resistor value needed nor did it say the wattage resistor to use. Would this be similar to a fixed hum balance pot?

If this is correct, it should be mounted very close to the transformer? or can i move it a few inches away and mount it on the bayonet style pilot lamp bracket?

Trout

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

that is ok, i did not stop there, from the juntion of the two resistors i hooked up a 47k 1watt resistor and connected it to ground, also on that junction i hooked up a 150k 2watt resistor and connected the other end to a 300v B+. hum completely disappeared!

:D :D :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.