Heaters for cathodes with a large swing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2006, 02:27 PM   #1
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Heaters for cathodes with a large swing

I want to contain a mu stage within +/- 300V, for direct coupling purposes. My problem is the (upper) heater to cathode insulation. This stage is not meant to swing the entire 600V but it would try to, given half a chance and I don't want any surprises.

Is there anything wrong with just tying the heater to the cathode? Alternatively, what can I expect if I just float it at 40V or so?
Old 21st August 2006, 03:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have done that and it can work fine. The heater transformer must have low capacitance between the secondary and the primary windings to avoid loading the cathode. I used split bobbin types which measure mere tens of picofarads between windings. The heater supply can be a fully regulated DC supply so long as there is no connection to ground except for small stray capacitance. In that case the cathode is connected to the negative terminal of the heater supply so that the heater is always slightly positive relative to the cathode. I also added a 10K safety resistor from cathode to the supply, just for some additional isolation.

Hide this!Advertise here!