• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New driver for SE 2A3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
new driver for se 2A3

guys,

i want to try a new driver for my se 2a3 amp which was previously driven by a 6dj8 in a grounded cathode then cap coupled to the 2a3. i now happen to have 2 pcs. 6gk5 tubes that i want to try. can anyone please help me redesign my driver circuitry using these tubes. my b+ is 300v, i have a 5k opt, and i use sovtek 2a3 tubes.

i searched the forum and i see a similar design but with 3k opt. instead of 5k opt.

thanks in advance for any help.

larry, you need to get something like 100V p-p to drive the 2A3 to full power. 5K, 3K, 2.5K will be ok, with higher OPT load less distortion and less power.

looking at the loadline, it seems good at 1V bias. So, I'd stick to the textbook operating point first of 1V bias, 135V plate voltage. Nice candidate for LED :devilr: as we can run it at 11mA.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sheldon and arnoldc,

i dont know how to post a schematic. but yes i'm looking at the textbook 135 plate voltage, 13k5 plate resistor for the driver tube. i just want to implement a grounded cathode circuit. am i right that at -1v bias and 11 mA plate current, the cathode resistor should be 90 ohms? my other question is - is it ok not to bypass the driver cathode resistor?

btw, the 2A3 is cap coupled to this driver stage running at around 60mA..

arnoldc, can you show me how to introduce LED instead of the usual cathode resistor? i thought that you need more than 1v before you can use LED bias. please illuminate me on this. also, will this tube (6gk5) which will be run at 11mA be a good candidate for CCS.

thank you very much.

larry

hi larry, what stuck in my head is around 10mA for the LED to become effective. I have a table of LEDs and I don't remember having one that can do 1V... maybe I'm wrong. Hope the LED guru (SY) can chime in.

Also, I'd consider one of Brian Beck's cathode CCS if you're going for a resistive plate load. Or diyAudio CCS on the anode if resistor on the cathode...

Couple of options for you :D How about choke load? He he

Isn't it fun? :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.