• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I´ve made a Mu stage with 6888 and 6C45...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And it sounds so nice with headohones.The current through the 6C45 is about 30mA at the moment.But it is this with the 6888,there´s a little hum in one channel and if I switch the 6888 in the chanels the hum moves to the other channel:xeye: I have 2 more 6888 and they all hum,1 is deadquite.what to do?:(

This is the one I´m building from..

Attachments

• 6888.jpg
    6888.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 407
Hmm,-

You may have an earth-loop problem...

These can be a real PITA to find. Often layout is the cause... Try earthing chassis at one-point Only, and return all earths of the amp to one point in the PSU, and Not to the chassis

Check for ocillation as has been said, and worth checking something silly isnt happening to the supply-rails from the PSU too.

Another quick dodge, is to try reversing the main secondary +B connections on the mains Tx, Sometimes this can have good results..Even worth trying with the heaters too...

Are you using a twisted pair of cables for the heater-supply? Does the hum go away if you disconnect the heaters while the set is running? Was there Any difference when biassing to Plus 40V the heater supplies? Is the current through the Mu stage around about correct for those tubes? Does the hum go away if you disconnect the source? Worth remembering, that most sources have caps in, so definately worth changing that 470K to 47K, even though the source Impedance is 130 ohm-( This is the cause I personally think.....) The Data sheet mentions that the Grid-Resistor to earth shouldnt be higher than 150K for that tube too.... Is the Grid-Stopper (1K) mounted On The Valve-Base Pin?-Good for preventing oscillations and other weirdness...

I tried a couple of small caps from anode to ground,no difference.And if I remove the filiament while running-no difference!I use twisted cables.
No difference with biasing the filliament.Ive tried it with 47K input imp.
no difference.I think it was a little less hum when turning the power cord around,how do I go on from there?Will try some difference groundings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.