• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

One Electron vs. Transcendar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any chance of a peak at your pp 300b schematic???

I would have no problem posting my 300B P-P schematic, if I had one. The amp evolved from an 300B P-P amp that was published in A VTV magazine article about 6 years ago by forum member kevinkr. A link to that article and its schematic are here:

http://www.kta-hifi.net/projects/amp_page/300b_amp/300bpp.html

I built my amp at least 5 years ago, before I ever dreamed of doing the web site. Unfortunately I was not the best at writing things down then. I never drew up a schematic for the amp. I just built it. I never thought that I would keep it around for so long, since most of my projects either get sold or taken apart. I have been planning to trace it out some day, but never had the time. It will be posted on my site as soon as I can get it traced.

any word on availability of the simple se boards?

I have the assembly manual about 75% finished. It is similar to the TubelabSE manual. Creating a manual like this requires building the PC board and photographing each part as it is installed. Since this board can be assembled from the top, or from the bottom, at least two boards must be built (I did 4) and photographed. That part is all done. Next the high resolution photos (over 100) must be cropped and resized. About half of that is done. Then the text must be written, also mostly done. From this process, I have 4 completed boards (which have been thouroughly torture tested) that will be built into complete amplifiers. That is the last remaining task needed to finish the manual. I have the materials to do this, but I had to work most of this weekend.

I need a couple of free weekends to finish the final amp assembly instructions. I will post the first cut of everything to the web as soon as the first amp (4 are planned) is done.

PS The Tubelab SE is still kicking a**** with the choke in the PS and Auricaps, nice combo!!!

Glad to see that you are enjoying your TubelabSE. You were one of the first customers for that amp. The SimpleSE sounds similar, but not as detailed. A SimpleSE amp can be built for considerably less money than the TubelabSE. I have recommended that a choke be used in the power supply in all but the lowest cost amps.

While I've never seen Transcendars before, I don't know if this is standard or something new.

It is on every transformer that I have received from Gery. I can tell you that it does get kind of sticky from the heat and humidity here in south Florida. The Transcendars that I use for test transformers have picked up a lot of dust and dirt. On the other hand the One Electrons are showing some rust on the laminations. I have not seen rust on any of my other transformers except for some ultra cheap Schumaker OPTs. All have been kept inside the house, but they get handled often.

Have a pair of the 3K Transcendars in my L-W & just recently bought a pair of the new 3.3K versions for my next project. Not sure what my next project will be yet (300b with pentode driver maybe, any suggestions?) so have no way of comparing them, other than the new ones have about 20 ohms more DCR.

You won't be disappointed in the Tubelab SE 300 B, seriously. It will take you maybe 2 hours to solder up the board. It will take you more time than that to patch together the I/O's and volume control if you need it. And the sound is quite impressive. I'm driving some ~96dB HDT's from Decware and at 12 o'clock the windows are rattling. Gotta put some time and dollars into room treatments :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's a standard feature of Transcendar transformers, and pretty much no one else. I have one pair of transformers in a vintage eico that had a similar treatment which might have been applied by the builder.

I have the older version 3K and am very pleased with the overall performance and the sound. Well balanced I would say with a very extended and clean bottom end. (2A3 amplifier)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.