Neutrik XLR for Umbilical - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2006, 09:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Neutrik XLR for Umbilical

Welborne sells Neutrik XLR plugs for use on umbilicals under 100V/4A. Does anyone have an optinion as to whether they would be useable for higher voltage (~300V) but lower current (30mA)? If not, can someone suggest something similar that I should use?
Old 15th August 2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I can recommend the spec sheets at www.neutrik.com .
Personally, I'd look for Speakon types.
Some of these models are designed for high voltage.
IIRC the Powercon series.

/Hugo
Old 15th August 2006, 10:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Yup, go for Powercon.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th August 2006, 07:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I can only find these with 2 poles. I need something that can carry HT as well as a heater supply. Any thoughts? Do 3 or 4 pole versions exist ...

That brings up a second question. Is it a good idea to use a 3 pole with the heaters and the HT sharing a ground or a 4 pole where each has its own ground either connected at the PS, or with the heater floating? The amp is a preamp with a single tube with an output transformer.
Old 16th August 2006, 07:55 AM   #5
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Try Cliff Connectors - http://www.cliffcomponents.com/
Old 16th August 2006, 10:01 AM   #6
garbage is offline garbage  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsavitsk
I can only find these with 2 poles. I need something that can carry HT as well as a heater supply. Any thoughts? Do 3 or 4 pole versions exist ...

That brings up a second question. Is it a good idea to use a 3 pole with the heaters and the HT sharing a ground or a 4 pole where each has its own ground either connected at the PS, or with the heater floating? The amp is a preamp with a single tube with an output transformer.
speakon has up to 8 poles for
cable connectors and also chassis connectors.
Old 16th August 2006, 11:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dsavitsk
Is it a good idea to use a 3 pole with the heaters and the HT sharing a ground or a 4 pole where each has its own ground either connected at the PS, or with the heater floating? The amp is a preamp with a single tube with an output transformer.
When I built my version of SY's Heretical pre, I ended up running all the grounds back to the PSU separately. It meant I needed an 8 pin connector, (+-12V , HT, and 5 grounds), but the resulting amp is dead quiet. After I'd done so, EC8010 suggested using computer style 9 pin connectors, apparently they have quite high voltage ratings.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th August 2006, 05:42 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Look up CPC connectors using google. These have the voltage ratings, pin count you need. There are vendors that sell them in sets with the pins included. (Can't remember the company unfortunately, I'll check and see if I can find information when I am at home, and post it here.)
Normally you have to purchase the contacts separately which if you only use them occasionally is a big, expensive nuisance. CPC are carried by Digikey, Mouser, TTi and others.

Old 16th August 2006, 08:47 PM   #9
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The 9, 15, 21, 25, 37-pin computer connector is military spec'd, MIL-C-83513. Amphenol has lots of different mil spec'd connectors, some quite expensive. Now, I'm not one to take electricity lightly. But I can't see any reason why Neutrik XLRs, PERHAPS even microphone connectors, can't be used. 300V and low ampere should be no problem. It seems like Leben uses XLR between the PSU and preamp. Scroll down. I doubt the MIL-C-83513 has higher rating.

I shouldn't have to say this, but one of the most important things here is to use male and female connectors right. You don't want exposed pins with 300V. In that respect, Powercons and Speakons seem to be some of the safer alternatives.
Old 16th August 2006, 09:35 PM   #10
pred is offline pred  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I looked at cpc connectors and they seem interesting, 600V and they are round so easy to make a hole in chasis.

While we are at connecting PSU and (pre)amps what is in your opinion better, just to house transformer in other box or to rectify filter and stabilize in one box and transfer to the other (maybe with some additional pasive filtering)?

Pred

Hide this!Advertise here!