• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

power amp kit recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am newbie here. I am searching for a small, easy to build, lost cost power amp for my pair of JVC speakers (they are from my out of ordered UX-2000 mini-hifi). The speaker's impedance: 4 ohms and power handling capacity: max 20W.

I have a Little Dot III headphone amp that I will use it as preamp.

Thanks very much

While it's not a kit, an "El Cheapo" is within the grasp of a 1st time builder. From the outset, the "El Cheapo" project was an exercise in good performance at LOW cost.

Read the "El Cheapo" SAGA here.

"El Cheapo" will work with 12AQ5s, 6AQ5s, EL84s, 12V6s, or 6V6s as the O/P devices. A cathode resistor change is needed to use EL84s. The Triad brand power transformers called for are made in China. Getting equivalent O/P transformers in HK shouldn't be difficult. Just about any reasonable constant current sink (CCS) and negative supply will work in the 12AT7 "tails".

BTW, "El Cheapo" is an "integrated" amp. A preamp is not needed.

Thanks for replies,

Sorry that I really don't know the efficiency of the speakers. I even can't find it on web. What I know is that the speakers came with JVC mini-hifi UX-2000, with 4ohms impedience and power handling capacity max 20W (as stated at the back of the speakers).

My budget is US$120 or less. Below $80 will be the best. I know this budget is too low for good stuff, but that's what I can afford (as a student :( )

Actually, my headphone amp also have speaker output. However, I need to turn the volume knob to nearly max. in order to have enough volume. So I am thinking if I should install a power amp.
With my low bugdet, should I consider adding a DAC, or changing the speakers, instead of adding a power amp, in order to achieve best improvement?

Thanks very much.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, for $80 you almost need to find a cheap donor amp (we have quite a few under $100 amps here), but do keep in mind that the target ceiling for the El Cheapo is $100 and that was reached with all new parts.

Our Scott based El Cheapo cost less than that, but only because we got the Scott for cost of shipping (something like $40) and then were able to recoup most of that selling the knobs & faceplate. That saving was countered by our penchant for using Solen film caps instead of elcos in the PS.

dave

I can vouch for the el-cheapo relative ease of construction - and I'm very satisified with the high quality of sound it produces. I think the original goal was, however, to keep the iron costs under 100 dollars. The initial outlay of tubes, sockets, caps, resistors, ect...provided by Jim was another 100 - 125 depending on which pieces you opted for.

I think Dave's idea of scavenging a doner amplifier for transformers and possible chassis is a good one - provided you have access to these kind of materials.

The idea of building a chip amp was good as well. Charlize (diyparadise (dot) come) has a very 'organic' tube like sound and the amp module can be ordered for sub 100 dollars.

Scott.

Simpleton said:
Why not mix both worlds and make a hybrid? Tube voltage amplifier stage feeding to a MOSFET power follower.

I second this idea. A pure tube amp would be nice but for the budget it would be hard to beat something like an LM3886 gainclone with a tube front end.

You wouldn't necessarily need any gain from the front end, just a simple cathode follower would work. No it isn't a SET and the sound won't be confused with a Loftin-White 2A3 but hey, it is a start. (Plus it is on my mind right now since I had a bunch of old 3875 chips in the box and slapped together a couple hardwired gainclones and just yesterday put a 6922 cathode follower front end on a pair of them. :D ).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sherman said:
I second this idea. A pure tube amp would be nice but for the budget it would be hard to beat something like an LM3886 gainclone with a tube front end.

A subject well covered in a couple threads here on the forum, and on Joe R's website....

http://www.customanalogue.com/diytubegainclone/index.htm

You'd still need to scronge a bit to get this under $80... transformers again are the things that cost.

dave

planet10 said:

http://www.customanalogue.com/diytubegainclone/index.htm

You'd still need to scronge a bit to get this under $80... transformers again are the things that cost.

dave

Yeah, it seems that whether the amp is valve, chip or discrete transistor the iron is the single most expensive piece. And in the case of valves one needs much more iron! In my case I tested the VBGC using my bench PS and had a Triad 230-0-230 trafo laying around.

I tried it with a B+ of 35V and have to admit I was surprised that it sounded pretty good. But... a B+ of >120 V sounded better. An isolation trafo could work for that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.