• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N6P vs 5687

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Seems more people like to use 5687 as a line stage or driver stage, but how about the 6n6p? They have the similar spec except the pin layout. In fact the 6n6p has the more common pin layout like 6922, 6H30, 6DJ8... and it's very cheap (about $5 a pair on eBay). Is there anyone had experience with it and how about the sound quality?
Thanks.

"Thanks for the very nice links. So is that mean the sound of 6N6P is very close to 6H30? But the 6H30's are getting more expensive now because they have been using by BAT"

6N6P is very close to 6H30P-DR (military version from 1980-1985).

Imho, voice of 6N6P more "fat".

Heya Bas ... one year ago I bought 6N6s on ebay at the same price ... same pusher maybe?
Maybe? I got them from Kalleb's special webstore (Estonia I think).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I used a Cinemag CMLI-15/15b, LL1660S/25mA and a Klaré 8K pp OT. So both the interstage and OT not ideal (a LL1660S/10mA would have been better and a 10K output as well..). Initial impression was very positive.

I also did not use BG but just whatever I had lying in my parts box.

Pictures tonight if the threadstarter does not mind.

Yes I have all the parts ... (LL1660PP gapped for, they say, 10mA) ... but ... OH! no time at all ... it must be a beauty

If you can ... give cinemag CMOQ (hi nickel) a try as input tranny ... much better IMHO than CMLI 15/15B (that I own too) ... I know! It is not an input tranny.

I hope the 3D has not been hijacked

Ciao

Hello Bas,

Nice to hear that you have knocked this one up - its a super little amp alright :) one of my sons uses it as his monitor amp for his studio (otherwise known as his bedroom...) The other son uses a 2A3 SE amp.

I tried the valves both ways around too and we preferred the 6N6P as output but it really doesn't matter which way around you use them. One of the nice features of this amp - mix and match to suit your own tastes and components...

Any pics of the build?

ciao

James

Hi James,

I have not done extensive listening to compare them (6h30 and 6N6P). But my pp output transformer is 8k...I think that is why the 6H30 sounds better in my setup.

Here are some quick and dirty pics..I'll post some more when it looks a little more decent.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks for this super little amp..(Still have to listen to them on my main speakers but so far so good)

In push pull a single 6N6P or 6H30 will give about 1.5 to2W in Class A. If you examine their structure you can see that these two are the same except for grid spacing yielding lower mu and Rp for the 6H30.

Move it to Class AB and you can double that.

The 6N6P was designed for radio and TV audio output stages so it isn't designed for huge power Pa is 8W but its over built so it will happily run 10W.

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.