diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   JE Labs 300b round 2 1/2 Copper Plates (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/8470-je-labs-300b-round-2-1-2-copper-plates.html)

TubeHound 9th December 2002 12:13 AM

JE Labs 300b round 2 1/2 Copper Plates

2 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

Well, after a month of working and clear coating copper plate I have learned a valuable lesson. Boy, oh boy! sure looks great but aluminium is a lot easier to work. Anyway the wood bases are next. Then I hope all you wonderful folks at diyAudio will help me with all the questions about hooking all the wires together. I attached a pic of the plates because, I need a slap on the back. (back of the head is more like it and feel free):D

Brett 9th December 2002 01:15 AM

Very nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it come together.
Cheers

Tomatito 10th December 2002 05:49 AM

How dare you ? These are going to look better than mine ! :bawling:

Milzie 10th December 2002 11:00 AM

How good do those JE Labs 300B's sound. How much do you estimate it will cost you to build a pair (they are mono right?)

Tomatito 10th December 2002 12:11 PM

It 's a very good sounding amp. How expensive ? That depends entirely on your choices. This amp deserves very good parts, which are expensive. With all mod cons, I'd say about 1500 dollars.

Martin

TubeHound 10th December 2002 06:16 PM

Brett, Tomatito,

Thanks guys :happy1:

Milzie,

I cannot testify as to how they sound, yet. Others have built this amp and say it's real good.

They are monoblocks needing a preamp and efficient speakers.

As far as cost, you get what you pay for, it's a "do it yourself" amp and the only limit is how deep are ones pockets? Transformers and chokes were my biggest purchase and the cost goes up from there.

Making mistakes (learning) will add to the cost as I go along, but then it's suppose to be a hobby (obsession?)

siu sin man tho 30th March 2003 05:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
hi,

copper is very good but very difficult to care for the surface.
I choose 6061 aluminium alloy.

thanks

Thomas

Original Burnedfingers 31st March 2003 11:01 AM

Thomas

It looks like you are trying to plug a product here. It could be considered to be in bad taste.

maybeim

I for one have to applaud your workmanship on your plates and your amp. Copper is hard to work with but it does show your love and enthusiasm for your project. You could have taken the easy way out and saved time with the T6 6061 Aluminum alloy but you choose the better and your project proves this. There are no free rides and no free lunches. Why settle for fast food take out when with a little more effort a gourmet feast is at hand?

If an award was given based on craftsmanship you would have my vote as your project is stunning.

Joe

siu sin man tho 31st March 2003 11:22 AM

hi maybeim,

this is not product.

this is my 300b amp & my friend alan's amp.

pls study.

i try to use coper already. but the surface craft to prevent oxide is too expensive.
so I shoose 6061 aluminium alloy.
7075 is F117 military plane use!!

thanks

Thomas :bigeyes:

Morse 31st March 2003 11:56 AM

Hi Maybeim;

Terrific job on the metalwork!!! Those amps are going to be absolutely lovely!!!

Good luck and all the best,
Morse