• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

when using PSUD2, do you...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Hello Brian,

truth be told, I didn't actually "nip along" myself, but a friend in Oz got one for himself, mentioned it to me and I asked him to get me one in return for sending him some British goodies. I gather that Dick Smith have sold quite a few (12,000) of these ESR meters, and some abroad.

If you experiment, and change the cap resistance value from .001 ohms to even 2 or 5, it really doesn't seem to change too much in terms of the voltage curve, so i don't sweat it ;). the thing i've learned to always measure is a) unloaded voltage on secondaries and b) winding resistance. those have SO much more of an effect.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Capacitor ESR doesn't change the voltages very much but it has a major effect on ripple currents, especially in capacitor input filters. It's very important to check ripple currents to make sure you're not exceeding choke or capacitor current ratings.

well, as long as you're within reason with your capacitances, it seems like you don't have to worry about ripple currents. you DO mean the big wavy things before the voltages smooth out, right? i didn't realize that it resistance would have such an effect. couldn't you "tune" your capacitor by paralleling a resistor? or is that folly of the worst kind?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Brian,
If you have an LCR bridge or meter, you should be able to get a resistance from that. More use from one instrument.

You can also look up a manufacturer's spec. from the catalog. I'm sure most of these parts will range close to the same number per capacitance value. I am assuming you will be using new parts for a design. If not you may want to check your parts more closely than the ESR meter affords.

Specs are freeeeeeeee! :cool:

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.