• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Depression... and a plea for help!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stories like these are legion in broadcasting. Small manufacturer passes away, family has entire company hauled to the dump. Heck, I'm guilty of it myself, giving away (to worthy causes) a Studer production console or sending dozens of Studer/Revox reel-to-reel machines to recycling. Equipment long past being written off, crazy work timelines and little financial return on the hassle and liability of selling this stuff; quite often throwing it out is better business sense.

Even then, compared to our tax-funded national broadcast corporation we're pikers. :devily:

Depression...and a plea for help!!!

Some tales have a happy ending though. A few years back, I did a small repair for someone. The job was so minor, I didn't charge.

Some months later, the guy called me to offer me first choice on 5 Nagra reel to reel tape decks previously used by the local broadcaster. I bought all 5 for around US$300, sold 3 and kept 2, with their leather cases and slingstraps.

bulgin

About all those rare bits and pieces.

I totally relate to the emotional stress caused by loosing rare stuff. There always is someone with a worse hard luck story than the last guy.

My family are just as stupid and have dumped all sorts of rarities over the years including a 1926 BSA motorbike and a windup 1920's phonograph which was used as a rabbit hutch.

Recently I lost through abitter marriage breakup - 2 shipping containers of tube gear 5 AVO valve testers, and 4 tube testers of other brands, a pair of cosective serial numbered Quad amps and preamps, some 7,000 NOS tubes many big triodes and a couple of WE 300 B tubes plus about 10 VG condition Oscilloscopes ( some old large Tektronix gear in very good condition plus other test gear ), almost 1000 transformers and chokes, many massive in size for big triodes as new in origanal boxes plus much, much, more.

The ex could not care less about my "junk" yet valued it in the courts at about $60,000 Australian dollars "in antiques" so she could get that amount from the house valuation in settlement. I was forced through bad circumstances, haveing no where to live, to place it in storage, as I had lost my workshop and had no where to store so much stuff. Adding to this, I was eventually forced to move interstate and live with relatives who could not assist with any money to move it all. I was collecting parts to set up a tube amp manufacturing business back in 1998.

After moving interstate and about 5 other places during that time - I did not have $20,000 dollars to transport it all some 2500 Km interstate, so it sat in storage until I could get the means to move it all. I had no work and couldn't get another job. As a result of struggling for some 2 years to hold onto it all - I lost it to the auctions as the storage place couldn't give a rat about what I had.

They said it was only worth about $300 AUSTRALIAN the lot . As I worked in a University for 10 years and was fortunate to collect a lot of tube gear from their dumpsters scientific prescision stuff you would rarely ever see including a vacuum tube analogue computer from Systron & Donner as used in the maths department in 1961. It was full of gold pin 12AX7 tubes and DC amplifers asnd dual reglated 6080 power supplies. Now I am so broke - I don't even posess a tube tester to my name. I also lost 3 coil winding machines in the lot ,as well as some 3,000 books and electronic magazines, and the list goes on and on.

Since all this - I have given up on collecting old stuff ( unless its given to me ) and only buy new stuff when I can afford to do so. I have no time for the ripp offs on Ebay - tubes with busted heaters wires from being poorly packed or Output transformers sold as "ok" but open on one side of the primary. Any good stuff is so overpriced its not worth the stress fighting others for it. Its not worth collecting anything any more as it becomes a "materistic vanity" - a striving after the wind.

My story is not the whole lot either ( I don't have pages to tell all ) and any one who has ever stressed about it all, will find there is always another with a worse story than your own. I had more stuff than most collectors but no money to maintain or support the moving of it. As a result it sat in storage until it was dumped. These things are bnever done deliberatly but it is FATE which directs our lives in matters like this. You just not meant to have it. Since then I have been on antidepressants and been too depressed to work. Every time I go onto Ebay I see much of what I had going for ridiculous prices, which are just not realistic to pay.

Just remember as much as you all love tubes, you can't take them to you grave.:bawling:

I was in a shop called maplins in the uk, asking about tube sockets, and old tubes they had, they were discontinuing them, and I thought I may get some at discount rates.
turned out that the salesman said all stores havnen't any left, guess what, he said they have to take them out the back and drive a hammer through them all.

Criminal waste, truly criminal, I am sick and tired of hearing about environmental concerns when its the shops and manufactures ott packing, just to sell things, if the earth dies, it ain't my fault. some people have a lot more to answer for. We don't really know much about what goes on. They would rather destroy them than let people have them. I have a feeling this sort of thing is rife.

Same thing with catalytic converters, they take precious metals out of the ground, and the energy to do this, and to make the cats. far outweighs the pollutants.
The world is run by idiots

And europe has rohs regulations to take lead out of electronic components, and replace with guess what? tin, antimony, without a thought to reliability, and the lead on house roofs, and the chinese don't give a ratsbackside, and guess where most electronics comes from?

And no its not wrong!! I suggest you start asking serious questions about what goes on. that's a very small corner of the shop

Geek said:
Manager: Company policy.
People just don't care about anything anymore :(

Unfortunately that attitude is becoming the norm in many service businesses. People do what they have to do to make their $6-8 an hour and no more. Many simply can't be bothered to think about anything, they just go through the motions and do whats required to get the check. And many take a perverse pleasure in disappointing others who do care about something . Dealing with people like that can be beyond frustrating.

Re: About all those rare bits and pieces.

Mr Firetube said:
Recently I lost through abitter marriage breakup - 2 shipping containers of tube gear 5 AVO valve testers, and 4 tube testers of other brands, a pair of cosective serial numbered Quad amps and preamps, some 7,000 NOS tubes many big triodes and a couple of WE 300 B tubes plus about 10 VG condition Oscilloscopes ( some old large Tektronix gear in very good condition plus other test gear ), almost 1000 transformers and chokes, many massive in size for big triodes as new in origanal boxes plus much, much, more.

Just remember as much as you all love tubes, you can't take them to you grave.:bawling:

OK Mr Firetube you win, if anyone has a more depressing tale of the loss of tubed equipment I don't want to hear about it. Hang in there man, and thanks for the reminder of the ultimate futility of materialism

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Time for a nice story...

A few years ago, I wanted to take a photograph of a particular valve, but found I didn't have it. I remembered that the place I worked at ten years previously had some, so with some trepidation (half expecting them to say, "Oh yes, they went in the skip last week"), I rang them and asked if I could either borrow one to photograph, or, if they weren't happy for me to take one away, could I bring my camera in and photograph one there? They said I could borrow one. I cycled in, had a bit of a chat with a few past colleagues, and eventually, they found their valve store (four large boxes). They looked at it and said, "You can have it." For a moment, I didn't quite believe my ears. Yes, they gave me the entire valve store. It was hard work getting it home on a pushbike, but sacrifices have to be made. That was the best birthday present I've ever had (it was my birthday two days later).

Mr. Firetube,

I have been through the same and have since remarried. The new EBU understands "until death do us part" in a whole new light.

My new wife even retains a bottle of something special of mine to pour on the ex-wife's grave in the event I don't outlive her and can't perform the task directly.

Hang in there...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.