• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is this heater supply OK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is this heater suply OK?

I am building a DC heater supply for my valve pre-amp and wanted to check that it was OK before putting the valves in and powering up.

I understand that wired in series, the heaters require 12.6 volts but I get around 21-22 when I test the circuit without the valves. I presume that with the valves in place, the voltage will be pulled down but I don't know by how much.

Here is the circuit. Is it OK to install the valves and apply power? :confused:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks like a "constant current" supply. Should work fine with the tubes installed, just measure the voltage across each tube heater once things are warmed up. Voltage sould start out low and slowly increase until warmup is done. Don't get real worried if the voltage is excessive for a short period of time ( several seconds to a minute); tubes in manufacture are fed excessive heater voltage when first evacuated anyway.

jarthel said:

say for a common 9pin tube, heater pins are usually 4 and 5.

are you suggesting that a cap on each pin going to chassis (which I would assume is then connected to the wall socket ground)?

Since EC8010 may be a bit tied up, I'll take the liberty of answering. Yes, that's exactly the idea, pin 4 bypassed to chassis and pin 5 separately bypassed to chassis. That arrangement will bypass common-mode noise travelling up the heater line.

If I may ask one more question could somebody answer me this please?

I have included a delay circuit on my pre to short the output until the heaters have warmed up and the DC offset 'settled'. I can get a maximum delay of 27 seconds, but from cold, the heaters take 37 seconds to reach 6,3 volts. Does this mean there is still a potential danger to an SS power amp connected to the pre?

Nuuk said:
If I may ask one more question could somebody answer me this please?

I have included a delay circuit on my pre to short the output until the heaters have warmed up and the DC offset 'settled'. I can get a maximum delay of 27 seconds, but from cold, the heaters take 37 seconds to reach 6,3 volts. Does this mean there is still a potential danger to an SS power amp connected to the pre?

you could put a simple ntc thermistor on the primary side of the transformer of both equipment and both will have a "soft start".

Nuuk said:

Is it really that easy? What about all those more complex 'sort start' circuits out there?

I understood from this that it is important to protect an SS power amp from possible damage while the valve pre is warming up.

the reply I got in AA and another thread I found in another forum seems to suggest that an NTC thermistor is the simplest soft-start. just 1 part and that is it.

ps. be sure to connect the thermistor on the "line" (or is it also called "hot"?) AC wire.

ps. the part that was suggested to me is the "CL" series from GE. I will be getting a CL-80.

Nuuk said:
Here is the delay circuit that I am using.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I wondered if increasing the size of the cap from 47 uF to say 100 uF would increase the possible delay.

that was the same circuit that was given to me in another forum.

it's quite simple but I would like to use the least complicated/expensive circuit and it seems it's a simple ntc thermistor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.