• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transformer question RE; connections on phono stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a welborne labs phono stage that uses a pair of identical transformers for power. I don't know why but it worked that way for years. The trannies finally gave way and I ordered exact replacements.

The old ones were wired up with all the colors matching and soldered together. Basically hooked up in parallell.

The old transformers had two greens, one with a red band, two reds, one with a red band, and a red/yellow stripe.

I have the 120vac side hooked up fine.

Now my new transformers have two greens, reds and one red/yellow stripe.

Should it matter which reds connect to each other, and which greens etc? I hooked them up this way and put the ghetto variac inline (light fixture) and it lit up very bright. I shut it off quickly and disconnected the wires.. luckily no damage. The power supply was not connected to the phono stage.

Am I doing something totally dumb/wrong here??
The trannies are allied 6k49vg's

Thanks - Evan

First, make sure you know which leads go to which windings. An ohmmeter will tell you that (or use a ghetto ohmmeter, a flashlight bulb and a AA cell). Then there will be only two ways to parallel them. One way will light up your life, the other will light up your bulb. Use the former.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.