Now This is A Tube Guitar Amp!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what i'm most interested in is where he sources those transformer kits, he just builds them for himself, on the fly 0_o. probably not too cheap though.

I wrote him a quick note about the transformers and his response is below.

Seems like a good guy.

Hello Gene,
thanks for your enquiry. I re-wind transformers for repairs/customers on a "as needed" basis.

When designing new amplifiers I design and make my own transformers for the same said projects.

I also design and make custom transformers for customers as is required.

So to answer your question, if you mail me the details required for your SE output transformer e.g. plate load, power handling, expected frequency response etc, I'll price it up for you.

However I am a little surprised you can't source an off the shelf one, there are many out there for the 833. Here are a couple of links you might find useful?

http://www.sowter.co.uk/

http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php

Hope this has all been of help?

Cheers, John.

Many old AM radio station tube transmitters used "plate modulation" audio modulators. That's essentially an audio amp that varied the B+ supply on the RF transmitter tubes. IIRC, for a 5KW transmiter, the audio amp was 2.5KW. If you can find such a beast, much of the work is done. Though the output transformer won't be matched to drive speakers, but is usually high impedance. But the power supply and amp circuits would be directly usable. It will require special powerline voltages, a 15A 120V outlet won't do it.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Though the output transformer won't be matched to drive speakers, but is usually high impedance.
You mean it woukd make a good headphone amp??:D

How do you get 100 watts from them? does to operating class change to something crazy?
According to Mullard, if you run 2 EL34s in Class B PP, with 11k plate-to-plate load, 800v on the plates and 400v on the screens, you can get 100w RMS with 5% THD. Probably a high proportion of the THD is 3rd, 5th and 7th harmonics - yuck! This was only intended for PA applications, where distortion is less of an issue than it would be for hi-fi.

ray_moth said:

According to Mullard, if you run 2 EL34s in Class B PP, with 11k plate-to-plate load, 800v on the plates and 400v on the screens, you can get 100w RMS with 5% THD. Probably a high proportion of the THD is 3rd, 5th and 7th harmonics - yuck! This was only intended for PA applications, where distortion is less of an issue than it would be for hi-fi.

I think i'd be happier with 35 Watts Ultralinear class AB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.