• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

AC filament supply tweaks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

G

Joined 2002
I would like to use an AC filament supply in my little aplifier project. Are there any hiss reducing tricks that I can apply to my filament supply besides biasing it above the cathode voltage of the tubes? Ferrite beads? Ceramic caps? Thanks.

G

AC fils aren't going to add "hiss" anyway. Did you mean hum?

Two wotrhwhile tweaks, esp for DHTs, but can be of worthwhile benefit for indirectly heated tubes, are common mode chokes (about $3 ea, bigger values are better) and a cap across the fil pins on the socket of a couple of uF. Make sure it has good high frequency performance.

hum

If you're using indirectly heated tubes, designed for AC filament service, then merely grounding the center tap of the filament winding, and twisting the filament wires tightly together should fix any hum issues. Also, make sure they lay flat against the chassis.

In certain cases, you may have to add a potentiometer of low value (100 ohms) across the winding, with the wiper to ground.

I've never had a heater hum problem not be cured by the above methods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.