• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

HT stands for???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You could say so... And then you would also use the term Amperage in stead of Current?

I kinda like the term tension. That describes what we mean and not in which unit we measure what we mean.

But of course voltage is a very widely used term. But that doesn't make it any clearer, if you think about it :smash:

I guess what i'm saying is that the word tension has other meanings not related to electrical/electronics.

at least if you use "voltage", anyone into electrical/electronic DIY (even those who are just starting) would know what it is :)

heck even if you're not into DIY like my wife, she would understand if I use "voltage"

but that's just me :)

Well, the high tension lines hanging from the pylons meet both mechanical and electrical terms of phrase.

Attachments

• image545.jpg
    image545.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 211
jarthel said:
I guess what i'm saying is that the word tension has other meanings not related to electrical/electronics.

Sure. And the words "current" and "resistance" don't?
Actually I feel that the fact that words like tension, current and resistance have meanings not related to electricity should make them easier to understand for everyone? And _I_ like the consistency of using the terms tension, current and resistance. Voltage, amperage and ohmage (never seen that used) would qualify for equal consistency...

But this discussion is not important here :D

I thought you asked the question in the first place because you saw it in a text or on a schematic and needed to know the meaning?

ux226 said:

Sure. And the words "current" and "resistance" don't?
Actually I feel that the fact that words like tension, current and resistance have meanings not related to electricity should make them easier to understand for everyone? And _I_ like the consistency of using the terms tension, current and resistance. Voltage, amperage and ohmage (never seen that used) would qualify for equal consistency...

But this discussion is not important here :D

I thought you asked the question in the first place because you saw it in a text or on a schematic and needed to know the meaning?

I will admit I was wrong with that

but it doesn't change the fact that a beginner/advance/expert electrical/electronics person would easily understood the context of "current" and "resistance" when it comes to electrical/electronics :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
I was brought up listening to the wireless, which had valves in it. It also had condensers and used high tension and low tension supplies. It wouldn't work unless it had a good aerial and earth.

Radio was a kind of malt, tubes were for giving enemas, capacitors were unknown, voltage was an uncouth way of saying potential, B+ was a good mark in an exam, an antenna was owned by a cockroach and ground was a kind of nut. :D

ray_moth said:
I was brought up listening to the wireless, which had valves in it. It also had condensers and used high tension and low tension supplies. It wouldn't work unless it had a good aerial and earth.

Radio was a kind of malt, tubes were for giving enemas, capacitors were unknown, voltage was an uncouth way of saying potential, B+ was a good mark in an exam, an antenna was owned by a cockroah and ground was a kind of nut. :D

LOL! :D

In Spanish, it is said tension. High, low and medium. It is few times referred to as voltage.
Current is referred to as current or sometimes amperage.
IMO, it has to do with the fact that most latin countries were technical and academically closer to Europe (UK, Germany) than to the States.

I also grew making circuits which used condensers, bobbins, and resistances (not resistors) and their characteristic was capacity, inductance and resistance. Later came capacitors, inductors and resistors (together with transistors...). Tubes were (and are to this day) called valves by the knowledgeable, and lamps by the rest of the people. The CRTs were and are TRCs (same meaning, different acronym due to language conevntion).

Gastón

Ray Moth summed it up.

Tension is an older term that hasn't disappeared yet, at least in the USA. I grew up on aerials, condensers, etc. too.

Voltage might seem like a better term than tension, but now that you know the term, will you be confused by it in the future? We cannot go back and retrospectively change all the older terminology where it still exists.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.