• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Design Books

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Old Colony should still have Norman Crowhurst's "Understanding Hifi Circuits." Not in-depth on design details, but a really good overview of topologies and feedback.

Available from more conventional sources (e.g., Amazon), "Valve Amplifiers" (Morgan Jones) is very specifically directed at audio design using modern techniques and parts and a hard-nosed engineering approach. Absolutely invaluable.

edit: I see that OC carries both Jones books. "Building Valve Amplifiers" is more oriented toward the physical task of laying out and assembling tube gear, leaving design and theory to "Valve Amplifiers."

I would also recommend 'Tube Circuit Design for Beginners' (IIRC) by Rosenblitz. Some good basic info and some practical design advice. Some say that Rosenblitz can be a bit... opinionated :D but if you can look past that the book has good value.

If you have both 'Tube Circuit' and 'Valve Amplifiers' you have almost all the basics covered and at least one book will explain things in a way you are sure to understand!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Definitely all of the books heretofore listed and volumes 1 - 4 of the audio anthologies. There are six in total, the last two seem less useful.

I would also recommend reprints of the Sylvania and RCA tube manuals .

I'd buy from Old Colony if practical, they are the publisher of these books and most of the time they're just hanging on.. If not for them I think most of these books would have vanished into obscurity and books like the anthologies listed above would not even exist.

I'll just chime in with my experience. I am not an engineer unlike a lot of members here. My background is in statistics and applied math but I work in finance. Anyway, I found my way into DIY with basically zero electronics knowledge.

I read a lot on the internet for the last couple years, but reading a couple of books really progresses you much quicker. I recently picked up Morgan Jones VA and read about 1/3 of it thus far. It really is a great book and recommended to anyone that wants to learn about building and designing tube amps.

Thanks...

kevinkr said:
...and volumes 1 - 4 of the audio anthologies. There are six in total, the last two seem less useful.

What are these anthologies and where do I get them?

JoshK said:
...reading a couple of books really progresses you much quicker.

For me this is true. The nice stuff that I have downloaded, I had printed at Kinko's so I can acess it when i want. Not cheap though. I will build the "library" over time.

Cheers,

Shawn.

FWIW,

Morgan Jones also wrote another book 'Building Valve Amplifiers' - it contains many invaluable tips regarding component placement and solutions to other problems (eg solving grounding issues).

I have both books, and they see heaps of use. Excellent purchases IMO - look for them cheap on eBay. They occasionally turn up there.

PART TWO...CIRCUIT SIMULATORS

poobah said:
Who wants an old cruddy book with dog-eared pages? The best two pages will always be stuck together with coffee. Buy some new copies...
You hope it is coffee but sometimes you just don't know. ;)

teemuk said:
Just my two cents about electronics related books: Coupling a good book with a circuit simulator will at least double the educative value.

The last time I used a simulator was with Spice in 1990! I'm affraid I'm entirely out of the loop here.

So now I'll ask for references to simulators both free and $$ for Valve circuits. I can think of only one...but I can't remember it right now. Don't forget some general comments why you refer the item.

Shawn.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use Linear Tech's SwitcherCadIII also known as LTspice. It's pretty easy to use and importing tube models into it is not hard. In fact they provide the symbols, you just have to provide the models. You can get them from Duncan Monroe Amps or search the tubes for spice model threads.

I recommend LTspice because it is free, full featured, powerful, quick and has no limit on the number of nodes. There is a significant learning curve though. This would be my long term choice.

Another possible contender would be Mcap8 student/demo edition available from Spectrumsoft. This is more intuitive to use and has a built in tube library - you do have to enable the models but it is not hard to do as they're already in the library. Why it doesn't come that way I don't know. It has a 50 node/100 component limit which should be fine for smaller projects. It has occasional stability issues which may have been resolved. Digital simulation is pretty good in this tool and the library has enough parts to be useful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.