• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transformer Leg Connection Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

I am building a small tube amplifier where I need a B+ voltage after bridge rectification and CLC of 200 - 250 VAC. I cannot find a transformer manufacturer who makes a 75 - 0 - 75 VAC or single 150 VAC secondary. If I used a transformer with a 150 - 0 - 150 VAC secondary and only connected up one leg of the secondary, would there be any problems? Note that this transformer will also have a filament secondary.

With a 150-0-150 transformer, you don't need a 4-diode bridge. Just ground the center tap ("0"), and use two rectifier diodes in a full-wave configuration. Connect the anode end of a rectifier to each of the 150 windings, and tie together the cathode ends (marked with a line). At that same point connect your CLC filter. Depending on several factors, you should get somewhere just over 200 volts. There are many references to power supply design if you do some searches.

If you are a newbie, I hope you will spend some time looking at the permanent high voltage safety thread here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.