• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am going to put together a small integrated to power some bookshelf speakers in my office. I need probably more than a watt, but certainly not more than 7 or 8. I don't listen very loudly, so power is not the concern -- midrange is.

I have lots of the parts on hand (edcor opt (5K:8), lots of caps, some rectifier tubes, a chassis, sockets, etc.) so all I think I need are a power transformer, and to choose what tubes to use. I would still like to keep costs low, however.

My sense is to use something in between Bas's How To amp (http://boozhoundlabs.com/howto/) a 6sn7 driving a 6v6 and tubelab.com's design (5842 with a plate load ccs and some power tube.) Thus, I'll probably use a ccs on the driver tube, but also perhaps LED bias it. For the power tube, I am thinking about an ultrapath circuit.

For input tubes, I am thinking 6H30 but am quite open to suggestions if there are better choices.

It is for the output tubes that I am having trouble making up my mind. One thought is to just use some tride strapped pentode or something (el34, 6v6, kt88). I also thought that the 807 looked interesting, though i am not sure how much power it can deliver. It is cheap, though, so might be a nice experiment. Another option is to just not muck about and simply use a 300B -- my main rig amps are 300b, so this would be an opportunity to buy some other tubes brands of tubes to swap around, but it is also a bit more that I was hoping to spend -- or perhaps 2a3, though they may not be powerful enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

-d

I have tried a lot of tubes with the $18 Edcor transformers. I tried all of the usual suspects, 300B, 2A3, 45, 6B4, triode wired 6L6GC, KT-88, EL-34, 6550, and triode wired horizontal sweep tubes, 6LW6, 6CD6, 6AV5, and vertical sweep tubes 6EM7, 6DN7, and a few others that I can't remember now.

My favorite by far was the 6AV5. It is an old octal TV tube that doesn't have a plate cap. Really dynamic sound. Cheap too. I ran them far in excess of their ratings but you can get a few watts without punishing them. Info here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74650&highlight=

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37403&highlight=

5842's are getting hard to find, my latest designs are using 1/2 of a 12AT7. They are not as good as a 5842, but close. I use 8 to 10 mA of current.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Safety police...

Bear in mind that anything you make and put in your office is in a work place and therefore comes under the regulations governing electrical equipment in the work place. Things to avoid would be 807 (top cap), mercury rectifiers, unpotted transformers, lack of a conductive cage over the valves, any exposed wiring, etc, etc. Someone completely lacking any imagination whatsoever slapped a nasty "failed" sticker on my Leak TL10 that took ages to remove without damaging the paintwork...

dsavitsk,

The HIGHLY linear triode strapped 6V6 mates WELL with your O/P trafo, but it is good for only approx. 2 W. If approx. 4 triode W. is enough, use 7591As. The 7591A is slightly easier to drive than the 6V6. A 5965 section will provide plenty of linear gain in front of either type. The full O/P of a CDP is more than enough to drive either combo into clipping. That meets your need for an "integrated" amp in only 2 stages.

Re: Safety police...

tubelab.com said:
My favorite by far was the 6AV5.

5842's are getting hard to find, my latest designs are using 1/2 of a 12AT7. They are not as good as a 5842, but close. I use 8 to 10 mA of current.

I'll have to look into that. I assume that you mean they are getting hard to find for cheap? Tubesandmore has them for $13, which, if I only need one, is not so bad.

EC8010 said:
Bear in mind that anything you make and put in your office is in a work place and therefore comes under the regulations governing electrical equipment in the work place.

I should say home office -- just me. That said, safety is a concern as my cat hangs out in there

Eli Duttman said:
If approx. 4 triode W. is enough, use 7591As. The 7591A is slightly easier to drive than the 6V6. A 5965 section will provide plenty of linear gain in front of either type. The full O/P of a CDP is more than enough to drive either combo into clipping. That meets your need for an "integrated" amp in only 2 stages.

Thanks, I'll look at those too. My source is a NOS DAC (sometimes AD1865, sometimes TDA1541a) with a grounded cathode 5687 for voltage gain. It seems to put out about what other cd players do.

-d

dsavitsk,

i happen to own a single ended amp using triode strapped sexy bottle 6v6gt. with just a half of a 6sl7 as driver per side, this amp sings beautifully with my single driver voigt pipe speakers. this low watt amp plays loud even when mated with bookshelf speakers with fullrange drivers.

larry

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have used the 6CK4 in a number of pp and se amplifiers and it is very linear. Sounds very good. It reminds me a lot of the 45 without the expense. A single 6SL7 configured as an SRPP would drive one with aplomb..

A single 6CK4 in SE would net you between 1.5W - 2Wrms depending on transformer impedance - anything designed for a 45 will work well.

A pair in pp into 7.8K (Dyna ST-35 transformer for example) will get you 10Wrms or more.

kevinkr said:
I have used the 6CK4 in a number of pp and se amplifiers and it is very linear. Sounds very good. It reminds me a lot of the 45 without the expense.

Indeed!

It has a little brother, the 6AH4GT that I call the "1 watt wonder" :D

Is SRPP necessary? What does it improve over a simple grounded cathode stage?

Lower output impedance and lotsa voltage swing for driving low-mu tubes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dave, Geek got it exactly right - the exact reason why I use SRPP drivers, and they're very simple, requiring only 4 resistors and a coupling cap. And for this application you can get away without the cathode bypass cap unless you need more gain or are driving a relatively low impedance. (You aren't)

6AV5 or 6FW5? The post you linked to seems to suggest the second, although later n this changes, maybe.

The 6FW5 will handle, and therefore put out more power. They are harder to find. I did most of my experiments on 6AV5's because I got a box full for $3 each at a hamfest. I only have two 6FW5's. They work great too, but I didn't want to torture them too much. The Sylvania 6AV5's will handle the most power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.