• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

sylvania & GE tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, a co-worker just gave me a syl. JAN 6BQ5 x1 , if my research is right this is an EL 84's. same same. I also have a syl. 6gk5 and a GE JLRV 5751. Could anyone give some insight on these? I'm also looking for a simple SET project for these if that is possible. I'm definetly a nubie at this so please go easy. I've seen Fred Nachbaur's mini block and PP mini block II, like those, seem easy. Whatever I build will go with a BIB and FE103e.

Eli , don't the EL84's have to be a matched pair???

Mark,

A well matched pair is desireable. However, you'll get by NICELY following the DECWARE SE84's example of sharing a single RC bias network between the 2 EL84 O/P tubes. Sharing the bias network evens out the tubes' operating points.

Have you given any thought to how much your project will cost? If you are looking at a low budget, Hammond 125ESE O/P trafos would be a reasonable choice.

I suggest you wire the O/P tubes in a manner that will allow Russian 6p15p (SV83/EL84N) tubes to function; the EL84s you already possess will not be hampered. That would give you maximum flexibility when retubing time comes.

The mu (gain) of the 5751 is on the high side at 70. You might have to pad the amp down at its I/P depending on your source(s).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.