• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Feedback on Thorsten's legacy "universal dht" amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
legacy

I am guessing you have read Thorsten's article at Thunderstone audio. I have a pair of these, at least a variation. I used the el84 driver. I departed from the Legacy as descibed by TL in a couple of places. I used a cathode resistor (1760 mills 12w) and bypass cap (22u polypro) on each leg of the 300b filament circuit, which is how I think the original Verdier design was implemented, although I added a pair of WE (ultra path) caps (6u GE motor run caps) from each side of the filament to b+ tap of OT. You might note that this implementaion results in different bias on each side of the output tube due to the dc filament supply. I am not sure if it will affect tube longevity, western electric allowed for use of dc on the filaments per their data sheets. I have the filaments polarized oppsite each other on the amps, and rotate the tubes amp to amp periodically. In addition, my psu is nothing special, a clc (small tuning cap, choke, and large cap for main b+, with additional rc for the driver stage. The driver stage needs a pretty smooth dc to avoid hum, so the extra rc stage. This was actually based on advise from TL, since I wasn't going to do the regulated supply thing. The hum level at the speaker terminal is low, about .6-.8mv. I will say these amps sound very good - easy to listen for hours without fatigue!

I made the amp using an SV83 driver and changed the bias on the 300B a bit too. I also used Electron One output transformers.

For the power supply, I used an outboard 200mA/500V HP Regulator. The filament supply was onboard and I used a pair of 5VAC Hammond transformers with a hum-pot. I ended up with a small bit of hum - sound was really nice - lots of snap - with plenty of detail and good treble extension. 8ws of power just wasn't enough when listening to AC/DC though!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.