• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Amp that has the biggest number of irons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I boasted my Amp that has 11 irons (transformers + chokes) in a Chinese DIY Forum and somebody brought out this amp that has 54 irons. Is this the world record?

Attachments

• 381732.jpg
    381732.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 249
I've been fortunate to tour WLW a couple of times and pick over that ancient 500KW transmitter, having worked for Harris, the company that made the "tiny" modern transmitter in the next room. I hope that ClearChannel, the current owner of the station, doesn't decide to scrap what's left of the big one. It's historic on many levels. The transmitter employs an audio amp of 250KW (really, over 300KW for margin) that is used as a plate modulator. That gentleman on the left is standing by one of two modulation transformers (the other is now gone). These weighed 37,000 lbs each. The air still smells of PCBs there, although the trip is worth a few more dead brain cells...few more brain cells..what were talking about?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.