• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Edcor CXSE25-8-4K vs Hammond 1628SEA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all-
I'm trying to finish my stereo KT88 SET powered amp, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular model transformer used like this?

I'm building Mikael Abdellah's SET design but in a stereo version.
See this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59882

The price is attractive for this transformer, $75 vs $93 at AES, but I'm wondering if they are functionally/sound the same.

I've read Tubelabs comparison, but he mostly looked at the real cheap open-frame models.

Thanks in advance.
Glenn

The transformer that I got from AES is the old flavor 1628SE not the 1628SEA. I also have the Edcor CSXE25-8-5K. I am in the process of testing both of them in a similar SE amp. The frequency response plots and some other info is in this thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83138

I have "special ordered" the new Hammond 1628SEA, but it won't be here for "3 to 4 weeks".

There is more to this than frequency response testing. I have done power sweeps for the hammond in UL and triode mode. I am doing the Edcor units this week, with the smaller transformers (One Electron, Transcendar) to follow.

The short story is that the Hammond has far better low bass, but the Edcor is a little cleaner, and has more high end detail. Both of these transformers are of the size where a tradeoff must be made. They both sound good. Price per pound is about the same. Do you want wall shaking bass, or sparkling highs?

If you believe Hammonds side of the story, the new 1628SEA has an improved high end. I won't know until I have them AND test them.

Thanks Tubelab, I knew you did a lot of testing on these transformers, and just got through reading that other thread.

Looks like I have to decide between the Hammond and the Edcors. I'm going to be powering my Altec A-7's with this amp, so I don't think I need a lot of bass as they tend to be "boomy" already (horn loaded design).

I'll keep watching for you're report on the SEA's when you receive them.

BTW: I'm glad I read more on these transformers as I was going to buy a pair from Antique Electronics Supply for $93 with free shipping, but they are the SE models.

Thanks again.
Glenn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.