• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

BELL 3030 Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If it really is a 3030, using EL34s will cook the power transformer as they draw 3 times the heater current of the 6V6...

Bell made the 2360 (mono amp) and 6060 (stereo) with EL34s - maybe one of those? I've never heard one, wouldn't expect quite Scott or Fisher quality, but who knows? I have schematics for the aforementioned amps should you need one.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Yeah, it's definitely a Bell Stereophonic 3030, but the dealer who claims to have refurbished it installed EL34 tubes, I saw them. I'd never heard of this amp, so wanted to get as much info as I could in a short time before I went back to audition it. Sounds like I need to pass on it as they want too much for me to re-tube it, plus I don't know what they may have done to make the EL34s draw less current (if any) because for sure it still has relatively small transformers.

Thanks for the info/quick response!

GM

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Thanks for the schematic, it appears there was some sort of mix-up, so 6V6s have been swapped in. At $321 and my reduced confidence in their tech staff I wonder if there's a similar/better alternative in this price range, especially considering my speakers are ~103 dB eff. which brings to the fore any system shortcomings that otherwise gets lost in the noise floor of a typically much lower efficiency speaker. The only other used amp they have in this range is an SS Adcom 535, and then there's this Panasonic that has gotten favorable reviews on a variety of forums for its audio section: http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0009E1YPW/ref=s9_asin_title_3/104-1837756-5275953

Any opinions/thoughts?

TIA,

GM

bell 3030 schematic orig sams photofact

I am new to this forum and noticed a couple folks needing schematics for Bell 3030. I have an original Sams Photofact for this amp I have two of these amps myself as well as the Bell 6060 in case anyone wants to correspond. I picked my first 3030 up out of someones roadside garbage mid 1970s without tubes and knobs and used it ever since. I really like their ergonomic design and sound.I was just getting ready to drop in new CE filter caps and did a random search and found this thread. Nice to see other appreciate the Bells. Kirby

Hello kshallen,

I just bought a BELL 3030 a couple of days ago. While cleaning it I noticed a 'loose' lead, an unconnected black cable from a twisted pair. The yellow cable from the twisted pair connects to one leg of C49. So I just wanted to check if this is indeed how it is supposed to be (I suspect it is not).

I tried e-mailing you to show you the pics of what I'm talking about, but since I've just joined the forum, I can't do it. I'd really appreciate you sending me an e-mail to look into this. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Oscar

Bell 3030 reply to the_equal

Oscar, the black wire in the twisted pair is supposed to be disconnected, it is a shiel wire and grounded at the other end. To be sure we ar on same page, my Sams Folder 4 Set 434 is my reference for C49, which is 1000mmf (marked RMC .01HD Z5U with one end on the plate of V7 pin 1 and the other to the yellow wire. C49 is physical on top side of chassis, in from on left most large electrolytic (looking from front) and hits a binding post with yelleow wire in the middle and behind the Level and Bass control . So if we are talking about same Capacitor and yellow wire, then you are ok. Kirby

Kirby,

Thanks for your reply. You're indeed right: it's the loose end of a twisted pair. I just panicked that I might have broken that cable loose while cleaning the amp. Thanks again.

btw, after cleaning the amp I installed a new set of preamp and power tubes and, boy does this thing sound sweet! Amazing, considering that it's basically 50 years old!!

Cheers,
Oscar

Oscar, glad to hear you have it working. I agree, it is very nice sounding, one of my favorites and the illuminated front panel is unique as well.

Since you like the amp, let me recommend changing the big electrolytic capacitors on top, as you won't find replacement transformers easy to find, and it is just not worth risking the mains transformer for the cost of a couple electrolytics that are 50 years old.

Please let me know if the output transformer nearest to the mains transformer and rectifier tube runs much hotter than the one on the left (looking from front). I suspect some shorted turns in 4 ohm tap (lower ohms reading than other transformer) on mine, but since it is so close to the rectifier tube and mains transformer, this could explain a lot of it too. I have another unit that I can scavenge if necessary, but would like to hear if your output transformers heat up differently also.

BTW, I find my unit starts clipping with Level control above 3, but there is plenty of power for efficient speakers below 3.

Best regards and feel free to contact me anytime.

Kirby

Kirby,
I was certainly considering changing the PSU filter caps. Would you have a suggestion as to a good on-line source where to buy them?

I checked my output transformers after a while of playing music and indeed, the right one does get warmer (I can't leave my hand on it, whereas I can leave it on the left one). I agree with you that it must be due to its closeness to the power transformer as well as to that EZ81 and 6V6, right behind it.

Regarding clipping, unfortunately I don't have any really high quality sources; only a portable CD player and my iPod and none of them have a particularly strong output so I haven't heard any clipping at high level control settings.

What I was fortunate enough was to buy a couple of nice and efficient second-hand Margules Magenta SA-1 bookshelf speakers to use with the amp, and indeed they sing! The combination makes my cheap Sony "CD Walkman" sound stunningly lifelike.

Regards,
Oscar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.