Pulsating Glow - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2006, 03:33 AM   #31
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

That's fuuny about the chat room... we could put Christer and mikeks together... they could discuss current feedback.

Old 26th July 2006, 03:52 AM   #32
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Thats It, its 10:46 PM, I have hit my 60th trip up and 60th down 27 stairs since noon.

The minds willing, but the knees say" What Are You Nutz??"

Fresh start tomorrow, Put in 100 ohm screen resistors, Run to my brothers and get my cat5 crimpers, Put connectors on the cable thats been hanging in my workarea over 2 years and hook up my laptop.

3240 steps since noon, Wow If I ever end up in a highrise fire, I am Doomed!!
Its not the 1620 going up that kills me, Its the ones going down lol

Trout
Old 26th July 2006, 04:00 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Just think about your figure!

Old 26th July 2006, 05:09 AM   #34
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
There is an IRC chatroom for diyaudio but... hmmm, see one Springer show, seen em all.
Old 26th July 2006, 02:39 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

OK,

Taking Tubelabs advice, I installed the 2 100ohm resistors at the sockets, I did not have any 2W so I subbed with 5W. After looking at several other guitar amp schematics that utilize those, Most had 3W or better so this should be ok.

I have not powered it up yet but here is a decent picture of how it sits right now.

Rebuilt Chassis Shot

Those turrets really made life a lot easier. I think next build, I will combo using eyelets for component mounting and turrets where ever I need to run wire off board. Then I will have a few less antennas (turrets) onboard.

Overall its not to messy even after a needless board transplant.

Trout
Old 30th July 2006, 02:24 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Well,

I got my new speakers Friday evening, UPS was late but they arrived ok.

The Pulsating screen glow is no longer an issue. I did add the screen resistors Tubelab mentioned, I am not sure if the correct 8 ohm speakers on the 8 ohm tap or the resistors cured it, But its no longer an issue.

I may have a new issue though, I need to run it a bit more to be sure.
But it " Seems Like " when I hit and hold the low E note for example, initially its loud, but 1 second later its even louder before it starts to fade. This seems to only happen at the lowest notes.

But Like I said, I ran it 30 minutes, Basically watching primarily for odd screen glow or pulsating.

BTW, These Jensen Neo speakers are tight!!! Really Tight!! It will be interesting to see how they sound after a full gig rehearsal.

Trout
Old 30th July 2006, 05:33 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Good news Trout,

Could your volume boost just be a feedback thing in disguise? Try putting some real distance between you and the amp...

It would be interesting to watch the neg bias voltage as you do this... maybe it is sagging?

BTW... that's some really excellent looking work! I can see that you are really putting some thought into the layout of those turret boards... nice.
Old 30th July 2006, 08:44 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poobah
Good news Trout,

Could your volume boost just be a feedback thing in disguise? Try putting some real distance between you and the amp...

It would be interesting to watch the neg bias voltage as you do this... maybe it is sagging?

BTW... that's some really excellent looking work! I can see that you are really putting some thought into the layout of those turret boards... nice.
I had a chance to run the amp an hour or so today, Interestingly, I had something odd happen, As I hit the bass note, the entire speaker cab started rocking, 18X22 30 yr old/dry yellow pine box, 80% open back, speaker biased towards a lower corner. I bet if I tried, I could time the note properly to get it rocking enough to tip over!!

That may have been what I was hearing. These new Neo speakers are VERY light weight, This will not happen in my regular cab, But this pine one in my shop was one I use just for testing, Previously it had a Celestion with a huge ceramic magnet that was very heavy.

I still have no idea if I am biased properly, But I can say the tubes display no overheat issues, No odd distortion type junk. A hint of isolated blue flash/glow now and then, but otherwise great.

That turret board worked out fairly well indeed. I think a tiny bit of design tweaking is still in the game plan but its very close to correct. The only thing I really want to do is adjust the component spacing on a couple cap locations, The taller turrets tend to get a bit close compared to the eyelets.

Right now, I have a BIG board layout I am working on that uses turrets and has PCB style sockets onboard opposite the turrets on the bottom of the board!
I have it sized to fit a common Hammond chassis in hopes of making a fairly easy kit type thing.
Should be a bit more durable over a standard PCB and still maintain P-P turret type wiring.

All in all, I am having lots of fun, I have learned a lot and the more I learn, the more fun it gets!
Trout

Hide this!Advertise here!