slight hum still haunting me - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2006, 05:32 AM   #1
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default slight hum still haunting me

I sent out a question about humm or buzz recently on a SE amp (Fred Nachbaur design) and thanks to replies, was able to get rid of most of the hum and buzz. But I still have some hum on one channel. Seems like there's a dead zone on the potentiometer on one of the monos that also causes the hum. Does this sound familiar? Any ideas where to start if it isn't a bad pot?

Thanks,
Carl
Old 22nd July 2006, 07:04 AM   #2
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a ground loop on the input stage. What is your signal source? Do you know if it is referanced to ground or floating?
Old 22nd July 2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

If the hum is related to the pot, never mind the following.

If the hum is on the channel with the opt closest to the power transformer, you might be getting some inductive coupling. If so, try a piece of steel plate between them and see if it diminishes.

Sheldon
Old 23rd July 2006, 02:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the steel plate to see if it changes anything (note I DID mount the power and opt at 90 degrees, and the transformer layout on both sides is essentially the same, so no obvious difference in the distance between power and opts).

Input is tied to a star ground but both monoblocks are done the same way. At about 1/2 volume, the right side seems to fade in volume a little, and it has some faint scratching for a few degrees, then it's normal. That's the side that has the most hum (both sides have a little background hum, but that is bearable - it's the extra hum on the right side and the odd "dead" spot that bothers me). I seem to recall different readings on the two pots, with the right side topping out at about 90k ohms and the left side topping out just over 100k (they are 100k taper pots).

Thanks for any more thoughts.

Carl
Old 23rd July 2006, 08:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Is the case of the pot grounded to the chase or does it have its own ground leg to the star. My understanding is that it is bad to ground a pot to the chase.

Shoog
Old 23rd July 2006, 05:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks, shoog. It has it's own terminal that's connected to the ground, but I believe the pot itself may be grounded at the chassis since the shaft is metal and so is the chassis (and there's no isolation between the two). But it could be the mounting shaft is isolated from the mechanics of the pot. In any case, both monoblocks are constructed the same way, yet only one has this problem.

Carl

Hide this!Advertise here!