• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Johan Potgieter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you haven't already seen this post (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=966586#post966586) in Solid State:

Greg Ball has asked me to pass on this sad news -

One of your DIYA members, Johan Potgieter, who regulatly posts here has been injured in a fatal car accident on July 17, in South Africa, in which a family member was killed.

He is undergoing treatment in a hospital in Pretoria. His condition is unknown.

Greg is in contact with family. his contact is gregmball@hotmail.com

Condolensces to Johan and his family and wishing him a speedy recovery.

Guys,

The accident occurred last Monday morning, July 17th. Johan has suffered several broken ribs and is obviously in a lot of pain.
He is slowly making good progress however in a local Hospital, and could be discharged quite soon.

I will pass on any posts/emails directly to him if you wish. Please use the subject line "Johan Potgieter".

-Eric
ericskeen@yahoo.com

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Thanks for your kind offer to pass on our condolences for Johan's loss and our best wishes for his recovery. Johan has become a friend to us all, as well as a source of good, logical reasoning. He is a highly valued member of this forum. Let's hope he recovers quickly.

Chaps,

A little bit of good news under the circumstances. Johan is scheduled to return home tomorrow (Sunday). I have passed on all the good wishes as received, he will see them when he is well enough to switch on his computer.

Johan is a retired CSIR Audio Engineer, and an extremely knowledgable person in matters relating to Audio. He really enjoys this forum and feels he has gained much additional knowledge from participating in the posts and discussions. I am sure that when things settle down a bit he will be back and I know the messages from you chaps will help cheer him up.

On behalf of Johan and his family, a big thank you to all of you who have responded with encouraging messages of support during this difficult time.

-Eric

Eric,

THANK YOU for the upbeat note. The news that Johan was injured was quite upsetting. Earlier this year at Easter time, a coworker of mine was stricken at work and died in hospital. Now the bad news of a vehicle accident arrives. :(

Please convey my wishes to Johan for a SPEEDY recovery.

Hi Ray,

Johan is out of Hospital but obviously still in a great deal of pain.

I am sure he will post again as soon as he feels a bit more comfortable, as this forum is one that he really enjoys participating in.

I will post further progress reports as soon as I hear from him.

-Eric

Hi All,

Johan has asked me to express his thanks to all who sent messages regarding his well-being. Currently, he is staying with family until he has recovered and then he will post to the Forum again.

Johan finds it very heart-warming that many of you took the time to wish him well, while at the same time some of you are beset with your own problems due to hurricanes and floods. The support from people with a common interest is simply overwhelming, and truly makes the world a smaller place.

-Eric

Folks,

Johan telephoned me earlier this evening to once more express his thanks and appreciation for all the good wishes from members of this forum. Unfortunately, he does not have ready internet access from his son's residence so he cannot yet reply to all who sent messages just yet, but he will do as soon as he has access to his computer and the internet.

He is healing nicely, but still has to tread warily - those of you have may have suffered from broken ribs would probably know all about this!

Johan is indeed humbled by your messages of support and is honoured by the friends he has made on this forum.

-Eric

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Broken ribs are no problem at all. All you have to do is to avoid sneezing, coughing, laughing, breathing, or allowing cats to walk over you. Yes, I fell off my bike. Fortunately, I cushioned the bike's fall with my body, so I didn't damage it, but I broke a rib on the kerb. By the time I'd got home, it was really hurting, and that was only one rib.

Get well soon, Johan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.