6AU5GT - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2006, 03:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6au5gt

I just saw a little collection of NOS 6AU5GT Sylvania's in the old boxes and stamped USA on the glass. I purchased one to take home and fiddle with.

Have you seen any SE or Push Pull designs using this handsome little TV tube? I bet it would make sweet audio? Any comments would be great!

Cheers,

Shawn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6au5gt.jpg (85.9 KB, 1033 views)
Old 18th July 2006, 05:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I had some RCA 6AU5GT. they are design as power tube, but I can't found any schematic on web. maybe you should design by yourself, I think its not diffcult to built ibut dosent mean sounds good.

Sam
Old 18th July 2006, 05:55 AM   #3
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Anyone know anything about a 6AV5GA?

The Edcor meets the 6AV5

Edit: Ooops, 6AU5 and 6AV5 ainīt exactly the same thing, but close.
Old 18th July 2006, 06:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

http://www.pmillett.com/tubedata/beam_power_tubes.pdf

try this you can built a nice amp
Old 18th July 2006, 02:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I found one 6AU5, and tried it during the 6AV5 experiments (same pinout) mentioned in the previous post. I didn't push it hard enough to find its limits because I only had one and it looked well used.

You should be able to use these in a generic triode wired SE amplifier, but I don't know how much B+ you can get away with since the screen grid is only rated at 200 volts. I think this tube would work well in screen driven P-P applications. This seems to be the best application for a 6AV5.

The DeHaviland 845 SE amplifier used a 6AV5 for the driver in early units and then switched to a 6AU5, because "it sounds better".
Old 18th July 2006, 04:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Beam Power

OK Tubelab, testing shows best result in Push pull? Inside the pdf from P.Millett's site "Beam Power Tubes" by O.H.Schade(thanks sam8888ysl ) I found the basic set up(see attached).

I cracked the pdf with Photoshop and tried to open up the diagram so if you need to scribble on top, you will have more room.

Am I getting somewhere?

Shawn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beampower.jpg (89.6 KB, 1016 views)
Old 18th July 2006, 04:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Input Phase Inverter

If I remove the transformer couple set up from the previous schematic can I attach something like this as preamp section?

Again, am I even close here?

Shawn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phaseinverter.jpg (98.4 KB, 950 views)
Old 18th July 2006, 04:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

A 6AU5 triode strapped is excellent for driving large transmitting tubes like the 845.
Old 18th July 2006, 04:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Power supply

Do we really need B+ of 300 and 400 volts? Can this be reduced to a single supply?

Would the circuit function better with -negative bias instead of ground?

I read in the pdf previous that the Beam Tube circuits requires only 10% or less in feedback?

Give me some more feedback and I will try to draw a proper schematic when I get back home tonight. My goal is small power with low distortion.

Thank you very much for the input so far, perhaps we have a new amp brewing here?

Cheers,

Shawn.
Old 18th July 2006, 10:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Sylvania Data Sheet

I extracted the data from PMillett's posted Sylvania 1951 guide on the 6AU5GT ( these are the ones I have access to) and reduced in to a one page data sheet.

Does this help the situation? It is rough and I have a higher rez so email me and I'll send it to you or brouse it youself by downloading from P.Millett's site. It is in the 1951 Sylvania pdf.

Shawn.

Also, here is a link to a bigger image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sylvania6au5gt-1951datasheetsmall.jpg (98.4 KB, 891 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!