• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

'Tube'-ing a reel-to-reel player.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am sure this has been done before but just want to throw this out and see what more information I find on this.

I am thinking of taking up a project to add a tube-preamp to a reel-reel deck.
I would like to disable/bypass all the audio circuitry and substitute with a tube pre-amp i.e. take the signal straight off from the tape heads. All other 'control' electronics can stay as-is.
If you have done such a project or atleast aware of one I'd appreciate if you could share some details.

I haven't picked a reel-reel player model for this yet but I am open for suggestions.

both good points. I didn't realize tape decks needed an equalization compensation curve like turntables(RIAA).
hmm..looks like I will have to delve further into the reel tape recording process to completely understand these two (recording bias and eq). I guess there must be standards for tape recordings (like riaa for vinyl). Can you point me in the right direction ?
Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.