'Tube'-ing a reel-to-reel player. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2006, 04:43 PM   #1
percy is offline percy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 'Tube'-ing a reel-to-reel player.

I am sure this has been done before but just want to throw this out and see what more information I find on this.

I am thinking of taking up a project to add a tube-preamp to a reel-reel deck.
I would like to disable/bypass all the audio circuitry and substitute with a tube pre-amp i.e. take the signal straight off from the tape heads. All other 'control' electronics can stay as-is.
If you have done such a project or atleast aware of one I'd appreciate if you could share some details.

I haven't picked a reel-reel player model for this yet but I am open for suggestions.
Old 17th July 2006, 06:02 PM   #2
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You'll need to decide which replay curve(s) you want to implement, and design your preamp accordingly.
Don't forget to use bias traps.
Old 17th July 2006, 06:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

both good points. I didn't realize tape decks needed an equalization compensation curve like turntables(RIAA).
hmm..looks like I will have to delve further into the reel tape recording process to completely understand these two (recording bias and eq). I guess there must be standards for tape recordings (like riaa for vinyl). Can you point me in the right direction ?
Thanks!
Old 17th July 2006, 06:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Aha!
http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobesp...headpreamp.htm
Old 17th July 2006, 09:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

This could be what you're after.
Old 18th July 2006, 12:23 AM   #6
wa2ise is offline wa2ise  United States
diyAudio Member

The Dynaco SCA35 intergrated tube amp has a "tape head" input, along with "phono". The selector switch switches out the RIAA circuit and switches in the NAB? equalization circuit for tape heads. Uses the same preamp tubes. You could hunt down a schematic and reverse engineer what they did. Or find yourself an SCA35.

Hide this!Advertise here!