• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Equivalents to 6888

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe you could sell me a couple of those 6888?

Why not, I don't have a direct use for them. I paid them 4,5€ a piece. If you want i can check about postage to Sweden?

Regards

Attachments

• 6888m.jpg
    6888m.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 637
E180F and E280F are still around... They seem to be used in
Microphone preamps. In such cases, the Amperex SQ low noise
product seem to be preferred.

Why not use an EF86 as a substitute. This is a low noise pentode
also often used in phono and microphone applications. Sovtek
produces an excellent current product.

-- Jim

coresta said:
Eli, is the 6AC7 really usefull in audio ? It seems to but did you try them ? i have some NOS left ... ;)

I don't have hands on experience. There are some interesting tidbits in the GE data sheet. Notice the warning against use in low level audio circuits unless DC is used on the heater. Perhaps simply biasing the heater to + 40 V. is enough to control hum at line levels. Also, notice the remark about either sharp or remote cutoff character depending on how g2 is set up. 300 V. on the plate and 150 V. on the screen (VR150?) looks good.

Current and power capability are reasonably high. 40 dB. of gain from a single stage looks quite doable. Use a 12 KOhm load resistor and buffer with a DC coupled cathode follower.

Eli Duttman said:

There's always the 6SJ7. RCA thought well enough of the 6SJ7 to make a "red" variant, the 5963.

Yet another possibility is the 6AC7.

Well, no they didn't. The 5963 is a nine pin mini that's a dual triode with characteristics much like a 12AU7. The 5963 was intended for digital use, but, ironically enough, has a characteristic that makes it a better audio tube than a 12AU7.

Also, notice the remark about either sharp or remote cutoff character depending on how g2 is set up. 300 V. on the plate and 150 V. on the screen (VR150?) looks good.

Regarding the 6AC7, that applies to all pentodes. Use a series dropping resistor to set the screen voltage will give a remote cutoff characteristic. Usually, this is not a problem when using a pentode to amplify a low level signal since the current won't vary all that much with signal swing. Combine a series dropping resistor with cathode bias gives enough "sloppiness" to easily accomodate different tube operating conditions and tube ageing. Stiffening up the screen voltage will give better results if you need a larger plate and screen current swing. In that case, voltage dividers, VR tubes (or more likely those little neon bulbs will be better since the current demand isn't all that high) or Zeners are useful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.