Toroidal core saturation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2006, 10:45 AM   #1
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Toroidal core saturation

Hello,

I'm looking for a little advice on filament supply: I need to feed two rectifier tubes with 5V/2,3A each and have a small toroidal trafo that's specified for 2* 9V/1,7A

Can I use this trafo without overloading it (using resistors to reduce the voltage if still higher than 5V even with the bigger current draw)? (slightly) Overloading a block-core trafo isn't that dramatical experience tells me but I remember from electronics classes that toroidal trafo's saturate very suddenly = might be another cup of tea... Better to ask first than to be sorry later

Cheers,

Simon
Old 11th July 2006, 11:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I need to feed two rectifier tubes with 5V/2,3A each and have a small toroidal trafo that's specified for 2* 9V/1,7A
Don't do it - the key thing is the current. You need 4.6A and you have only 3.4A available. That's 35% overload. Even if your trafo doesn't saturate, it will get hot.
Old 11th July 2006, 01:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You could run the rectifier heaters in series... 4.5V each, maybe a bit more, since it's below the rated load.

Saturation is from overvoltage, not overcurrent. A small mount of DC will saturate a toroid - never use one with a half-wave rfectifier.
Old 11th July 2006, 01:59 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
parallel the two secondaries to give 9V 3.4A.
Adjust the output voltage by adding a few extra turns to each secondary to give nearer the 10V the two, series connected, filaments require.

You need only 2.3A so you are well in and the transformer will run cool.

Hide this!Advertise here!