• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Plate voltage related to sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm buildin a little 1watt amplifier using a 6sn7 in push pull. I use a common cathode resistor. I am wondering what sounds better:

More plate voltage but less current, or more current with less plate voltage. Can I use no cathode resistor if I want maximum current (taking into account the maximum ratings of the tube) .

Thank you!

In a push pull amp you want to bias it where there will be the least ammount of 3rd harmonic distortion but still allowing full swing. Since 2nd harmonic has a cancellation effect in push pull. The ideal biasing using same tube, and both in class A, will be slightly different as opposed to a single ended amp. Obviously if your going class AB then the biasing will be way different in push pull opposed to single ended. If the tubes are self biased you cannot remove the cathode resistor. If it's a fixed, self-biased mix. You can remove the cathode resistor as long as you re-adjust the grid voltage to accomadate the change.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.