• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

which tube using NonDirect heat with best-class sound ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are so many variables. Triode, pentode, small signal, and power O/P.

You say you want to build a SE amp with IDH tubes. The electrical behavior of a triode strapped 6AV5 is quite close to that of the much loved 2A3 DHT. The 5965 is a very linear twin triode. A 5965 section driving a triode strapped 6AV5 will get you going nicely. Select a decent O/P trafo suitable for use with 2A3s.

are you saying 2A3 can be design to NDH ?

Precisely. A triode strapped 6AV5 will substitute cleanly for a 2A3. Find a 2A3 circuit you like and use it. Obviously a hum balance pot. is not needed and you put 6.3 VAC on the 6AV5's heater.

Here is the schematic for the Morrison Micro, a Loftin-White style amp. Scrap the 2.5 VAC filament trafo and connect the 2.5 KOhm/47 muF. bias network directly to the 6AV5's cathode. Use a separate floating 6.3 VAC filament trafo for the 6AV5 heaters to avoid exceeding the heater to cathode potential limit. The Noval 5751 and the Locktal 7F7 are suitable substitutes for 6SL7s.

6AV5 data sheet here.

Edit: fixed typo

wow wait a second, I did not know that DH can be "convert" to NDH.

It just happens to work for 2A3 designs. The 6B4G is electrically equivalent to the 2A3, except for the 6.3 V filament. Some tubes sold as 6B4Gs were in fact 6AV5s that were triode strapped internally, including connecting the cathode to the heater. Taking advantage of the facts given allows a 2A3 circuit to be used with an indirectly heated 6AV5.

I think there is some confusion here (or else I am confused and thus there is still confusion). I think the original poster has gotten the idea that you can take a DHT and convert that tube to make it an indirect heated tube while I think the responders are saying that you can take an indirect heated pentode and modify a cricuit designed for a DHT so that the circuit can use the indirect heated tube. Right?

mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.